feature request - csv import errors - auto retry?

Shopify Partner
30 0 1

I often need to import CSV files twice. The CSV is fine, the 2nd import works perfectly without changing the file. The problem is the CSV import hits an error and shopify gives up on the import of the item. 

Is it not possible to add a retry if the CSV import hits an error. 

The problem is almost always with images, i.e. images producing an IO error - I assume the IO times out. It would help if IO errors had retry code. This is because, I often need to import the same CSV twice.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
216 15 33

Hi, @eddyparkinson!

Rae from Shopify here. Thanks for reaching out with this feature request. 

I appreciate you outlining some of the issues you've experienced while importing CSV files. You mentioned that you often receive an error with the images on the file. Do you have a screenshot of this error message, by chance? If so, please feel free to include this image in a response to me here so that I can investigate this further. 

In the meantime though, I can see how having the option to retry the import would be beneficial for you, as well as other merchants on our platform, so I'd like to pass this feedback over to our developers so that they're aware of how this is impacting you. Our teams use information like this to build and improve our platform, so these details are really helpful for us to receive. 

If our teams add a feature like this, we will share this news on our changelog and also on our Announcements page, so make sure to keep an eye out for any updates that are posted there. 

Thanks again for sharing this suggestion!

If there's anything else I can help with, please let me know. 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
30 0 1

Error message in the email after the import:

Failed:

• Line 5-8: Validation failed: Image https://..../2134l_58_1.png failed to download. - timeout reached. Make sure file can be downloaded successfully.
0 Likes