free shipping for one specific product

Rob44
Excursionist
44 0 24

Hey guys!

We charge a flat shipping fee of £2.99 for all orders.

However, for one particular product, we want to make shipping FREE....just for this one specific item.

Does anyone know if that's possible, either within Shopify itself, or via an app?

Many thanks in advance!

Rob.

Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2290 243 477

Hey, Rob! 

Peter here from Shopify Support!

Natively, Shopify offers the ability to create shipping rates per country, however, it's not possible to create shipping rates per product so to get this setup will require a bit of a workaround. In terms of apps, you could look into using "Better Shipping" or "Parcelify" as both of these apps allow you to create per product shipping options. 

The catch with these apps, however, is that they both require that you have the "Carrier Calculated Shipping Rates" feature added to your account. One way to add this to your account is by adding the feature for $20/month which would be on top of your subscription fee, as well as the app charge. Alternatively, if you pay for your Shopify subscription annually vs monthly, you can get this feature for free. Going this route would also save you 10% on your plan, as well as the $240 for the feature. Lastly, if your sales warrant a plan upgrade, you could also look into the "Advanced Shopify" plan which is $299/month. This plan automatically includes the feature in the cost of the subscription!

A bit of a clunky workaround for this would be by setting up a weight based "Free Shipping" rate that has a lower than usual weight requirement. From here, you'd input a low weight for your product so that it falls within the minimum/maximum. Should someone add only that product to the cart they should receive the free shipping rate, however, should they add other products, then your normal shipping rates would apply. Here's a screenshot that gives a general idea of how this would look:

You'll need to ensure that your "Packages" section under your shipping zones has a weight of 0. If it has a weight, then it would cause issues when generating shipping rates at checkout as the package weight is taken into account when calculating the total cart weight. It's important to note that this type of setup would only work with weight-based rates, and can't be done with price based rates. 

That all being said, is there any reason why you're wanting to provide free shipping on one specific product versus all of them? If you wanted to provide further information on the end goal you have, then I'd be happy to see if there are other ways we can achieve that!

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Rob44
Excursionist
44 0 24

That's great Peter, thanks very much!  Clunky, but it'll work!  Good suggestion, cheers.

0 Likes
Rob44
Excursionist
44 0 24

Hi again,

So I have tried to implement that - but it's not giving free shipping for this item.

I have both price and (now) weight rates set up.  I suspect that Shopify is applying the price-based rate (and therefore charging for shipping) BEFORE the weight-based rate?

My set up is as per the attached image.

Any advice please?

Thanks!

Rob.

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2290 243 477

Hey, Rob!

One key thing is that this workaround will only work if you only use weight-based shipping rates, meaning that mixing both weight-based and price-based will cause issues at checkout. In this case, I'd recommend transferring over your price-based rates to weight-based and adding the respected weights to your products so they fall in line with what you've set up. To give an example it would look a little like this:

In this example, your free shipping product would weigh anywhere from 0 - 0.99kg, and all of your other products would weigh 1kg. With this setup, your checkout should only show the free shipping rate when only the free shipping rate product is within the cart. 

If you're still having issues with the rates appearing correctly, then you'll want to check the packages area in Setting/Shipping to ensure that there isn't a weight added to the package. If there is a weight here, then you'll want to edit the weight to zero as that should clear up any issues you're seeing!

Let me know how that turns out! 

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

0 Likes
Rob44
Excursionist
44 0 24

Hi Peter,

That would a treat, thanks very much!  Appreciated!

Best,

Rob.

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2290 243 477

Hey, Rob!

Happy I could help out! Have a great weekend! ?

All the best, 

Peter
Shopify Support

0 Likes
ShopGuy80
4 0 0

This is now possible with vanilla Shopify:

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shipping/setting-up-and-managing-your-shipping/shipping-profiles

You can set up a profile for a specific product.

0 Likes