how to remove 100 Variants limt

Highlighted
1 0 6

Hello, I'll throw my hat in the ring too that my company would like to increase the 100 variants limit, to 300 or 500 is all we would need.

We are a medical grade compression garments manufacturer, and many of our bodysuits come in extended sizes (2XS-4XL) and require other body metrics to fit correctly (bust size, inseam length) in addition to being offered in a couple or three colors. So it's common for us to see something like 9 sizes * 3 inseam lengths * 4 cup sizes * 3 colors = 324 variants.

6 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 5

Hi there,

I also need more than 100 variants. Wedding rings come in lots of sizes, varying widths, depths and types of metal. Even when I split the rings into the different metals, I still have way more than 100 variations. I really love my shopify store, but am looking into having a custom built site that will allow me to have more than 100 variants. Unfortunately 100 variants is too restrictive and doesn't create a user friendly experience for my customers. Is there any chance this may be changing in the near future?

Bec

5 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Trust me, no matter how much rev share Shopify is offered, they will not increase this (even for a store moving $75 million annually - if you didn't know, they get a rev share added on after $1 million a year). 

Its more than likely a result of engineering tech debt on their backend service that handles that facet, and they can't or wont address the underlying issue for the time being. So given that information, you have a few options to solve this. I recommend using an app or simply living with splitting products, but I'll outline the major answers I've gathered. I don't pretend that these are the ONLY options, but this is what I have found in my explorations trying to answer this for my own group.

Possible Solutions:
0. ASK : Ask Shopify nicely with lots of money for a customization. Be told no very kindly.

1. APPS: For the most of you, apps are fine. The problem is there is no way to alter the token permissions these apps create, and 99% of them demand access to your customer and order data, which is completely unnecessary and since we are all the privacy minded kind of folk who considered it before GDPR was a buzz word, this was a huge non-option.

In the past I've even asked for several app developers to help us make a custom token that only requests what it actually needs, and all said no. Why? Because they make their real money off selling your data that they collect. The new GDPR endpoints Shopify forced into the apps are great, but most people don't realize the level of info these apps are reading about your customers. Imagine you are a brand that is publically traded and one of these apps end up being able to tell details about your sales before the numbers go public. They could make millions short selling your stocks on insider sales information or worse, anonymously publish your numbers data and call it a leak. 

2. PRODUCT OPTIONS: This solution is not mine, and I only came across it recently, but it is an interesting approach. It basicaly has you make multiple products, then merges them using the options data that sits on the product object. I imagine something similar to this could be accomplished with a tag to inter-relate the products, which is outlined next, but this is interesting. Note though that this does not cover the collection views as that will be the other half to this issue - displaying them as single items in a collection. I imagine the same idea could apply but have not personally used this idea.

3. CUSTOM TEMPLATE / SCRIPTING: Split the products into individual colors with all their sizes (lets use shoes for this example). 
     - Red Shoe, sizes 6-12 as variants
     - Blue Shoe, sizes 6-12 as variants
     ... etc

Now, the trick with this one is to tag the individual products with a special tag, for example "merge-product-shoe1" to create a way to tie them all together.

Now you have products, but need to create a custom, pseudo-collection-product template that can display the individual list of products into a 'merge' template that lets a user see them as single products with colors and sizes a lot like the last solution did using product.options. Here, we will use that tag to do something along the lines of all_products[ merge-product-shoe1 ] in your custom template to supply the rest of the variant data by merging the two sources to display a unifed product display. WHEW. ( For the curious - Docs on all_products usage here )

That gets us a product detail view, but what about collections...?

If you want to list all products as individual items of "red shoe", "blue shoe", etc... great, you're done! 

If you want to display them as single products with color swatches, you'll have to create a custom collection view template that does the same thing we did on product details page. The key here is to NOT show products that are the merge-product-shoe1 handle name and instead do the same thing to populate all variants to a single product list display item. You then just want to have the template HIDE the handles that match your name format to indicate they are ADDENDUM products and not original ones to display themselves. The caveat to this is that if you do this on a MAJORITY of your products, pagination can get strange. Paginating large amounts of products can help hide this unpredictable pagination length but just be aware as this is the primary concern with this.

4. Switch Platform: I do not own or promote any of these, again, just my own opinion. My personal favorite of late is Moltin, they give you a backend and you can build your own frontend however you wish. This is an option for companies, but not really for individuals unless you are an engineer, which is why I save it for last. Otherwise you can build your own node.js / react.js system and store at that point, but I don't really suggest going to Magento or something like that because Magento is a ridiculous cost and tends to be a leaky bucket from my experience with it.

WHEW! - Look at that we made it through the list!
Hope that helps someone out there googling. With the rollout of their improved multi-location api, they have solved one of their two major hinderances from actually entering the true big-leagues of e-commerce, and this is the last hurdle before I feel as though Shopify is a viable option for huge inventory, high sale stores. 

I welcome any feedback to help color in some of these details, and if anyone has any other alternatives by all means toss them up! (No salt please, we're all trying to make a better product as a community, and most of us already take in too much sodium :p )

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

(If this double posts, shopify wiped my first one far as I could tell so I apologize)

Trust me, no matter how much rev share Shopify is offered, they will not increase this (even for a store moving $75 million annually - if you didn't know, they get a rev share added on after $1 million a year). 

Its more than likely a result of engineering tech debt on their backend service that handles that facet, and they can't or wont address the underlying issue for the time being. So given that information, you have a few options to solve this. I recommend using an app or simply living with splitting products, but I'll outline the major answers I've gathered. I don't pretend that these are the ONLY options, but this is what I have found in my explorations trying to answer this for my own group.

Possible Solutions:
0. ASK : Ask Shopify nicely with lots of money for a customization. Be told no very kindly.

1. APPS: For the most of you, apps are fine. The problem is there is no way to alter the token permissions these apps create, and 99% of them demand access to your customer and order data, which is completely unnecessary and since we are all the privacy minded kind of folk who considered it before GDPR was a buzz word, this was a huge non-option.

In the past I've even asked for several app developers to help us make a custom token that only requests what it actually needs, and all said no. Why? Because they make their real money off selling your data that they collect. The new GDPR endpoints Shopify forced into the apps are great, but most people don't realize the level of info these apps are reading about your customers. Imagine you are a brand that is publically traded and one of these apps end up being able to tell details about your sales before the numbers go public. They could make millions short selling your stocks on insider sales information or worse, anonymously publish your numbers data and call it a leak. 

2. PRODUCT OPTIONS: This solution is not mine, and I only came across it recently, but it is an interesting approach. It basicaly has you make multiple products, then merges them using the options data that sits on the product object. I imagine something similar to this could be accomplished with a tag to inter-relate the products, which is outlined next, but this is interesting. Note though that this does not cover the collection views as that will be the other half to this issue - displaying them as single items in a collection. I imagine the same idea could apply but have not personally used this idea.

3. CUSTOM TEMPLATE / SCRIPTING: Split the products into individual colors with all their sizes (lets use shoes for this example). 
     - Red Shoe, sizes 6-12 as variants
     - Blue Shoe, sizes 6-12 as variants
     ... etc

Now, the trick with this one is to tag the individual products with a special tag, for example "merge-product-shoe1" to create a way to tie them all together.

Now you have products, but need to create a custom, pseudo-collection-product template that can display the individual list of products into a 'merge' template that lets a user see them as single products with colors and sizes a lot like the last solution did using product.options. Here, we will use that tag to do something along the lines of all_products[ merge-product-shoe1 ] in your custom template to supply the rest of the variant data by merging the two sources to display a unifed product display. WHEW. ( "all_products" documentation here - https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/89205510-how-to-use-all_products-in-a-shopify-theme )

That gets us a product detail view, but what about collections...?

If you want to list all products as individual items of "red shoe", "blue shoe", etc... great, you're done! 

If you want to display them as single products with color swatches, you'll have to create a custom collection view template that does the same thing we did on product details page. The key here is to NOT show products that are the merge-product-shoe1 handle name and instead do the same thing to populate all variants to a single product list display item. You then just want to have the template HIDE the handles that match your name format to indicate they are ADDENDUM products and not original ones to display themselves. The caveat to this is that if you do this on a MAJORITY of your products, pagination can get strange. Paginating large amounts of products can help hide this unpredictable pagination length but just be aware as this is the primary concern with this.

4. JUMP SHIP: I do not own or promote any of these, again, just my own opinion. My personal favorite of late is Moltin, they give you a backend and you can build your own frontend however you wish. This is an option for companies, but not really for individuals unless you are an engineer, which is why I save it for last. Otherwise you can build your own node.js / react.js system and store at that point, but I don't really suggest going to Magento or something like that because Magento is a ridiculous cost and tends to be a leaky bucket from my experience with it.

WHEW! - Look at that we made it through the list!
Hope that helps someone out there googling. With the rollout of their improved multi-location api, they have solved one of their two major hinderances from actually entering the true big-leagues of e-commerce, and this is the last hurdle before I feel as though Shopify is a viable option for huge inventory, high sale stores. 

I welcome any feedback to help color in some of these details, and if anyone has any other alternatives by all means toss them up! (No salt please, we're all trying to make a better product as a community, and most of us already take in too much sodium :p )

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hi,

We are making clothes, and there only few cases when we have less then 100 variants.

Simple case: 2 sizes x 5 design variations x 10 materials = 100 variants.
Complex case: 20 sizes x 3 lengths x 3 sleaves x 4 collars x 250 patterns = 90 000 variants.

I  like this simple limitation of 100 variants, and there are many ways around, like master product and multiple products that hold "additional" variants as suggested in Jason Bowman workaround, or storing product options in metafields.

BUT.

Question to shopify employees: how do i manage inventory for products that have their options in metafields, or products that have variants spread over 3 sub products?
Does 100 variants limitation mean - the whole multi-location inventory thing is not practically useable?

And lastly why 100? Why not 42 or 100500?

Best
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

Following this thread. This 100 limit has been my dilemma! I would like to support everyone with this request to increase the variants limit.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 3

The 100 variant limit is ludicrous, Shopify. If you want to be a serious eCommerce solution you need to stop handicapping developers. Please get serious and fix these arbitrary limitations!

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
62 0 14

Does anyone know how the 3rd party apps work with Shopify Point of Sale, Shopify Sales Channels such as Sell on Facebook and Buyable Instagram Posts?

Specifically:

Infinite Options
Product Options by Bold
Product Customizer
Product Builder

Thanks!

www.Rowby.com
Specializing in Shopify Solutions including CBD
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1 0 1

We are having this same problem for years. Now that is another retailer customer who is not only using the online store for selling but also using with the POS. They are selling contact lens.

If Shopify is moving forward into tapping the retailer SaaS market, providing multichannel commerce platform targeted at SMB market in rapidly evolving retail environment as per advertised, I think Shopify have to rethink and re-hear to our voices here. We need to solve the user problem, make good user experience, not via backend code hacking that does not fulfil the current Shopify business model and vision.  #justlittleopinion 

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 23

2 years on and still nada... Talk about customer service

1 Like