Solved

Can I use a subdomain for my product listing page on Shopify?

nicholasasmita
Visitor
2 0 1

hello, my domain is nicholasasmita.com and I purchase it through Shopify. And I already made a subdomain shop.nicholasasmita.com in the admin panel, and i want to use it as a URL to my Shopify product listing page. Can anyone help me?

Accepted Solution (1)

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @nicholasasmita,

Hank here from Shopify.

Subdomains are different ways that your domain can be set up so that traffic can be diverted and your preferred domain viewed by customers trying to access your store.

In your example, shop, would the subdomain, for your root domain; nicholasasmita.com. While it would not be possible to have multiple domains visible on your store, any subdomain, or other domain that is linked within your admin, will still bring traffic to your website. 

For example, your original .myshopify.com domain that came when you opened your Shopify store, if typed into an address bar, will still bring you to your website, AKA, traffic to your primary domain, subdomains act the exact same way.

So, if you want customers to see shop.nicholasasmita.com in the address bar when they are on your site, you would just need to change the primary domain within your admin (Online store > Domains > Change primary domain to the preferred domain you wish.

Let me know how you get on or if you have any further questions!

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @nicholasasmita,

Hank here from Shopify.

Subdomains are different ways that your domain can be set up so that traffic can be diverted and your preferred domain viewed by customers trying to access your store.

In your example, shop, would the subdomain, for your root domain; nicholasasmita.com. While it would not be possible to have multiple domains visible on your store, any subdomain, or other domain that is linked within your admin, will still bring traffic to your website. 

For example, your original .myshopify.com domain that came when you opened your Shopify store, if typed into an address bar, will still bring you to your website, AKA, traffic to your primary domain, subdomains act the exact same way.

So, if you want customers to see shop.nicholasasmita.com in the address bar when they are on your site, you would just need to change the primary domain within your admin (Online store > Domains > Change primary domain to the preferred domain you wish.

Let me know how you get on or if you have any further questions!

All the best,

Hank

nicholasasmita
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello @Hank ,

thank you for your answers. Really helpful.
So the conclusion I cannot use the subdomain for my product listing. But I have an alternative for it

How about redirect from xxx.com/shop to xxx.com/collections, where I can make that xxx.com/shop url redirect? is it possible? I just want to share the url xxx.com/shop

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

What you could do if you had set up a custom subdomain, is using the likes of a third-party app for URL redirects, you could then link it to your chosen page/URL that you have created.

However, if redirecting to a subdomain, I would advise that you have chosen to link it to a domain that is set up within Online Store > Domains.

Milkio
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi 

This is Jhimli; I am new to Shopify; I have purchased one domain from Godaddy (on;y domain not hosting), now I am trying to add another subdomain deals.milkioghee.com, but unable to add, GoDaddy insist me to purchase a hosting plan for the subdomain, can anyone help me in this part.

1. Do I need to purchase a Hosting plan to add a subdomain from GoDaddy?

2. How many subdomains can I add to my shopify?