image alt tags not showing up on collection pages

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 2

Hi everyone!  Our image alt tags from our collection pages are there in our code but when I hover over the image the alt is not displaying.  On the product page it working correctly. I have noticed also a big drop in our images showing up in search like they were.  This does not seem right.  For instance here is a page: https://rosesandteacups.com/collections/discount-tea-cups-cheap-teacups We had this issue about a year ago and picked another theme that corrected that issue but now I am afraid there are problems again. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

Hi

Let me clear it you. Alt tag never show up when you hover on your image. On hover what you see are title tag. So add the title tag in your images on collection page you will see the description when you hover on image.
For you product page. I checked that your image are wrapped inside the anchor <a> tag and that <a> tag has the title. So on hover of image what you are seeing is the title of the anchor tag <a>.
So to resolve your problem just add the title tag in images on collection page. It will work fine.

Please let me know If I was able to make it clear to you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 2

Thank you!  So once the title tag is added this will help with SEO?  I am not sure how this was removed as when the theme was first uploaded the collection page image title did show up.

0 Likes
Highlighted

You are welcome.

No the title tag in the image are just for the display purpose. For SEO you have to use the alt tag.
So best way is to use both tag in an image element.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

How exactly do you add the title tag? I can't even find the alt tag... ?? Thanks!

0 Likes