"Cloning" a Shopify site

Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 5

Hi All

We run our site www.rubbertree.co.nz out of New Zealand. We serve both New Zealand and Australia, and are registered as a business in both countries. We also have the domain www.rubbertree.com.au.

Ideally, we want rubbertree.com.au and rubbertree.co.nz as indivudal sites so that the user experience is tailored to what country the customer is coming from. The issue is we have a large and complex product/variant range, and keeping this up to date twice every time there is a change or addition is not feasible.

Is there any way we can "Clone" (best term I could think of) our site, which would display .com.au and .co.nz but in essence would be the same site with the same product listing?

Hopefully I am explaining this in a way that you can understand... I would appreciate any advice or feedback!

Cheers

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
630 16 195

Hi Cole!

Liam here from Shopify - thank you for your question :)

Having two separate sites is a great way to provide a unique user experience for both of your markets, so let's look at some of the options available to you. Even with a complex product/variant range it should be possible to keep the inventory of two linked stores up to date using the Central Admin app. This way you could have two different stores with two different domains. Your customers could choose which store to visit from a landing page on each domain, or you could use Shopify's Geolocation API to automatically redirect the customer to the correct store based on their IP address. This doc would describe how this could be possible. 

Hope this helps Cole, if you have any other questions, just let me know!

Cheers,
Liam

Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

Liam Griffin
Shopify | Developer Community Manager
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 5

Hey Liam,

Thanks heaps for your reply!

I like the sound of the central admin app, we will trial and evaluate this, and definitely using the Geolocation API to automatically redirect customers from each location would be the way to go.

We'll look into both of those, and thanks again for your help.

Cole

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
74 0 23

We've built an app that will copy / sync data from one store to another. It's called Replay and is available at https://apps.shopify.com/store-copy 

We're working on enhancing this with the ability to automatically sync items from one store to another in real time - that should be out sometime next year. If you're interested in testing that, please email me at mike@rewindit.io

Mike

Co-Founder, Rewind (Backups for Shopify). Apps: Rewind, Replay (clone and sync Shopify stores).
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi Liam,

We're also looking for a similar thing but I don't think you've understood the original question asked in this threat: how to create the cloned stores in the first place? What are the options?

Thanks

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
74 0 23

Hi Pete: 
  As part of the Replay setup process we can create the cloned store for you.

Mike

Co-Founder, Rewind (Backups for Shopify). Apps: Rewind, Replay (clone and sync Shopify stores).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
191 2 11

Hi there!

Looks like there are couple solutions of "cloning" a Shopify site. Once you build the cloned website, don't forget to set IP geolocation services. It can identify your visitors’ physical locations by IP, and auto direct your visitors to their local websites.

Here is one service worth checking: Geo Targetly. It has particular tool,Geo Redirect can seamless direct visitors based on their geolocation. For example, if the visitor is in New Zealand, even he clicks on your Australia webpage, he will be automatically redirected to nz site.

The tool is easy to set. No code is necessary.

Hope it helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm still not clear on how to clone?  can anyone help?

we have a UK store and want to clone to create a Aus store.  I've been looking and reading and still have not been able to find the answer other than potentially buying tools to do it.

Many thanks

David

0 Likes