"Error Uploading Image"

Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 2

I'm trying to upload an image (~5MB) to my store and I keep getting the error "Error uploading image" after it tries to upload it...does anyone have any idea what would cause this and/or what I can do to get it to upload?  Any feedback would be much appreciated.  

1 Like
5 0 0

A 5mb image is pretty big, my first guess is that you may be exceeding your account storage limits (which can be viewed under your account settings page) or that shopify may be rejecting the file because it is too large. If you're not exceeding your account storage limits try saving the file as a .png file and then use this website: http://kraken.io it's a free online tool that will let you reduce your file size by up to 80% without affecting the quality.

0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 2

I have been having a similar issue for 2 days. Although I can upload images directly into Shopify Files (in account section) I cannot upload files using the URL link or I get the same error as you "error uploading files". 

The URL is 100% correct and the files are small. Some of these failed linked images will then appear in my Shopify Files even though I didn't upload them there. 

There is also something weird going on with the HTLM editor <> button in pages as all the code is squashed together unlike before when it was nicely formatted. 

I created a support ticket 25 hours ago so hoping to get an answer soon. 

Makes it impossible to manage a store when you can't insert images using a URL link so hope its sorted soon. 

1 Like
1 0 2

I'm having the exact same problem, I've been trying to upload images for two days now, and no matter what file type or size (I've even tried 500kb), I keep getting the 'error uploading image' message. I have also tried to upload images through the Files (in account section) and I am still getting the same message.

I have tonnes of space, so it's not a storage limit problem. I've tried jpegs and pngs and nothing is working...

Any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
11 0 2

I believe I'm having a related issue: I have an app that automatically uploads multi-variant products to my store using the API. Each variant has a image with which it is associated using the ALT tag liquid/javascript technique in the New Standard theme. For the past couple of weeks, the products seem to have been saving without the designated ALT tags (this has previously worked without fail for over six months; nothing in my codebase has been changed), and sporadically the images themselves are not being saved along with the product. This doesn't appear to raise any error in the code - when the product is saved through the API, the ALT tags are quietly dropped or the images themselves not saved.

I assume that this may be a bug arising from some recent change to the Shopify backend. It seems to be related to the mysterious "Error creating product image" message mentioned above, which I'm also seeing when I try to add images to the products manually.

For the record, I have an Unlimited account, so it's definitely not a storage space issue. It seems like the ability to add images either through the Admin or through the API is currently broken in Shopify.

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
11 0 2

Hmm... well for my part the problem with adding images from the web appears to be stemming from a specific site that is blocking image requests from Shopify. I've managed a workaround on that, but it seems that the ALT tag API issue is still a going concern.

Geoff

0 Likes
1 0 1

Hi guys, we were having this problem for a long time....driving us crazy as we are in the process of building our new website.

I managed to find a temporary fix...

When you get the 'error uploading images' fault, try adding the '.jpg' extension to the images that won't upload.

This worked for me...

Really not sure why though as I format all of my images in the same way with exactly the same compression settings etc.  All my files are 1280x1280, optimised, converted to sRGB, colour profile embedded, and around 100k in size.

Hope this helps someone out there!!

1 Like
1 0 0

Same problem happening with our site. Really frustrating when you have a site to run. Any response from Shopify? I'm waiting to hear back also.  This is really basic functionality....dont know why its failing...

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 2

Sarah hey I ended up trying a bunch of things and the weird thing was some pictures worked, some didn't...Shopify tried on their end and it seemed to work.  However, the only way I could get it to work was to throw the .jpg on the end of the file.  Since then, fortunately I haven't had any issues.  Hopefully this helps!

-Renny

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
10 0 1

Hi Reynold, Kate, Geoff, Black Fox, James,

Did you resolve the issue?

I am building an app to help bulk upload and remove product images. I'm currently in need of beta testers, would you be interested?

-Marlon

marlon@ideazensolutions.com

0 Likes