Why is my routing number not accepted during payment setup?

JacobSmergs
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello, 

I am setting up my Shopify payments and when i go to enter my routing number it gives me an error. I am located in Canada but have a virtual US address as well as a USD checking account. My bank is a Canadian bank which i do not know if it is an issue but i was told it was not. I do not know what else to do. Please help.

Thankyou.

Replies 3 (3)

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @JacobSmergs 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

Thank you so much for reaching out regarding this. When it comes to setting up your Shopify Payments the checking account must be based in the same country that your store is based in and it must be a physical institution, virtual bank accounts are not supported by Shopify Payments. So, if you are setting up Shopify Payments for a US address, the bank attached would have to be a United States based bank account that has a physical location, a virtual account cannot be used. 

Your options here would be to change your address to your actual address in Canada and use your Canadian bank account to set up the payment gateway, or, connect a US-based checking account from a physical banking institution. 

You can read up more on Shopify Payments' bank account requirements right here. Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

JacobSmergs
Visitor
3 0 0

Thankyou i really appreciate it! 

will keep you updated.

lbent
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I am facing the exact same issue, except for the fact that my bank account is a US account but set us through a bank that is physically in Canada (BMO). This should work based on what you've said above. I would also have a hard time believing that Shopify hasn't updated this ability since 2021. Please help.