"POS Pro" A GIGANTIC RIP OFF

LiquidAssetsNS
Tourist
3 0 2

So Shopify just informed us that POS Pro "Free trial" is coming to an end. And now, if we don't cough up an additional $89 USD which brings our annual subscription fees up over 100%, we will lose our current ability to access the POS app. This is EXTORTION - pure and simple. Here's their wording. "If you don't confirm, your locations will automatically move to POS Lite, which doesn't have what you need to sell in a retail store." There is no status quo - you upgrade or perish.

For a company that is now larger than the Royal Bank of Canada and being held up to the nation as a fine upstanding Canadian tech business this move is outrageous. 

People of Shopify - we are in a global pandemic - businesses are struggling to stay afloat - how dare you enact this kind of highway robbery at this moment. Shame on you.

Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
726 39 225

Hi, @LiquidAssetsNS

My name is Rae, and I work for Shopify.

Thank you for reaching out, and sharing more details about how your business is impacted by this change. Our teams are always working hard to improve the functionality of our apps and offerings, so we appreciate you sharing this feedback. 

We understand that this is a big adjustment for many businesses, and we want to make sure you're prepared to handle current and future retail sales.  

If you have a retail store, we recommend that you select the POS Pro subscription for those locations. POS Pro includes unlimited store staff with roles and permissions, unlimited registers, and smart inventory management, all of which are really helpful features for businesses who sell from multiple locations. You do not need to subscribe to POS Pro for all your locations, just the ones where you need these features. This chart outlines more details on what's included with POS Pro, as well as more information on POS Lite. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about this change. 

Thanks! 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
LiquidAssetsNS
Tourist
3 0 2
Doubling the cost of necessary software to businesses trying to stay afloat at this perilous time is not a “big adjustment” it’s called price gouging, highway robbery or extortion - take your pick.
Rosstheboss
Tourist
9 0 5

Shopify should not be charging more money for features that users used to get for free. I don't want to upgrade to Pro because it doesn't serve my particular business well, but I will lose staff permissions. This is a standard feature on every POS. To ask for $89/month per location so that I can once again assign staff pins is outrageous. 

0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
726 39 225

Hi, @Rosstheboss

Thank you for sharing this feedback. 

Previously, POS capabilities on Shopify stores were determined by the subscription plan selected. This created difficulties for merchants who had both online and retail businesses, but these businesses were at different stages and had different needs. To simplify things, we now offer subscription plans and POS plans separately so that businesses can select which options make the most sense for them. 

If you'd like to use POS Lite but still need staff permissions, I recommend creating a full access staff account on your store for only your staff members. That way, staff can use this account to log in to your POS. 

Do you have multiple POS locations? If so, the inventory management and in-store analytics offered on our POS Pro plan may also be of benefit to you. Is there a particular reason why you aren't interested in using any other POS Pro features for your store?

Please let me know so we can ensure you have the best set up for your business, and so I can offer your feedback on this to our teams directly. 

0 Likes
NDtricia
Tourist
4 0 7

I couldn't agree with you more...Extortion!  Had to upgrade PRO for the Holiday season to keep customers moving with exchanges and to save the carts.

Currently doing some research on new POS software.  One that allows me to do an exchange, save a cart and check gift card balances(which is still not available in Pro) and doesn't charge an extra $90 a month for basic functions...  if you know of any let me know

0 Likes
Rosstheboss
Tourist
9 0 5

@NDtricia 

If you want all of those features for free, move to Square. 

0 Likes
Rosstheboss
Tourist
9 0 5

Hi @Rae 

I'm not a retail store selling clothing or other standard products. I sell perishable confections, so there are no returns, no exchanges, no shipping from the store, and I don't need any of the data analytics or inventory tools because they are not advanced enough for my kitchens. I need to use 3rd party software. So basically you are making me pay extra money for features that are useless to me. However, I do need to track my staff and offer permissions like every retail store. This is not an advanced feature but standard on any POS platform because it's essential to running a retail operation. Shopify is adding their app Stocky to the POS and forcing people to buy it instead of add the app like before. And then on top of that, you hit retailers with more fees when most brick and mortar stores are getting crushed by Covid-19. 

0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
726 39 225

Hi, @Rosstheboss

I appreciate this additional context.

This type of feedback is really valuable for our developers to consider for future updates, so I’ll make sure they have this information. 

Thanks again, 

0 Likes