"Total Sales" now includes sales made with gift cards

1 0 0

Shopify changed how "Total Sales" is calculated, and it now includes sales paid for using gift cards. I just wanted to give my feedback on this. For our business, we've always used the "Total Sales" number to monitor cash flow goals. We create daily sales goals, and we check the dashboard to see how we're doing, but now that Total Sales includes sales made using gift cards, the number is less relevant. We want to know how much actual cash we've made to compare with our cash flow projections. It seems that the only way to get this information is to go to the Financial report and manually subtract from the total sales number using a calculator.

I imagine other people are experiencing this issue, and I hope Shopify at least adds a check box somewhere to easily exclude sales processed on gift cards.

Otherwise, I do really like the new Finance report.

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 4

Also, now when you sell a gift card, it does not count towards your daily sales. This is completely ridiculous and backwards. We need to know how much actual money was brought in every day. It's simple accounting. I am confused as to why they chenged it to begin with. It makes absolutely no sense.

Tourist
5 0 1
We have the same!
0 Likes
2 0 1

I agree as well! I want to see the gift card amount in "Total Sales" the day I sell the gift card, not the day someone uses it. Shopify, hope you're listening! :-)

Explorer
54 0 91

I agree.....this seems backwards. 

0 Likes