rel=canonical on blogs

Solved
4 0 0

we have localized stores in new zealand, united states, united kingdom and australia. 

for the past year we have only had the blog on one site which is australia, is it safe to upload the same content on the other locations without being penalized by google?

I tried to add this

<link rel="canonical" href="{{ https://www.scissortechaustralia.com.au/blogs/scissor-blog/how-to-take-care-of-your-feet-when-you-st... }}" />

but it won't save, 

will we be penalized? 

what do we do to prevent being penalized?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1322 32 131

Hi @Scissor,

Nick here from Shopify. 

This is a great question. From what I have learned about SEO, I would strongly advise not having the same content on multiple websites, even if it is the same store. The reason being is this will result in Google looking at the 3 stores as individual websites with the same content, and therefore drop the rankings for each of them. Your best bet I feel here would be to have each store should have their own twist on content. Preferably location specific content, so for the USA store, have USA content, and the Australian store to have Australian content if possible. The purpose behind Google's thinking for this is to prevent and punish copycat websites. From what I believe, the original website wasn’t punished, but only the copycat. While not a direct answer to your question, I do want to share a blog post from the content team at Shopify which has an SEO checklist that I find very useful in general. 

Something else to remember is Google do change their rules every 3-4 months. They try new techniques and are always searching for people trying to break the rules, so it is best to never attempt to try and get one over on Google, as this causes a website to get blacklisted, which can’t be undone.

As I touched on above if it's possible, I would advise creating a different blog for each location, but I understand that might not always be feasible or make sense depending on what type of business you are in or what type of store you have. Something else to consider could be consolidating your stores into one and using a multi-currency app meaning you would have one store but the currency would change depending on where the person was visiting the store from. 

I hope this helps and answers your question and offers some guidance. Please let me know if you have any other questions about this or anything else. 

All the best, Nick

Let me know if you've found this helpful and by hitting solved.
0 Likes