requesting a refund from annual subscription

francisaltesing
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi, I found out that I've been charge by Shopify for the annual subscription. I forgot that I had a free Trial running, I'm just a student and I would like to know if I can get a refund because I need the money. I don't want to continue because my classes are about to start and I would like to focus on my studies. I hope I can get a refund.

Replies 5 (5)

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi @francisaltesing,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us and for letting us know. 

If you log into your admin and click Settings > Billing > Recent invoices would you be able to confirm the amount that you have been charged and the exact plan that has been selected? As well, could you please confirm when you were issued the invoice? While I can't confirm a refund I certainly can review everything in full for you but the store would need to be closed first. Are you looking to close the store too? 

Many thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

francisaltesing
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi, ted, 

Yes, it charged me the same amount that was stated in the plan. I am closing down the store because I got no sales but unfortunately, I forgot that yesterday was the expiration of my free trial. I did not close the store yet because If I can't get the refund I also would lose the store it would be a waste. I really need the money right now and I was hoping to get a refund if it's possible I hope you can help me thanks. I got the invoice on August 16.

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi @francisaltesing,

Sure thing, thanks for getting back to me and for the extra context. 

To review the account for a refund the store would need to be closed. That said I'll email you directly now to help authenticate and review the account. I won't be able to discuss the billing query further on our Forum Community as it's a public thread, so keep an eye out for my email and reply back to me (via email) when you have a moment. 

For anyone else reading this, if you've just been charged for an annual plan and would prefer to cancel your account or downgrade the plan -please contact our support as soon as possible here or here. We consider merchants who are signing up for long term subscription plans to be making a one/two/three year commitment to Shopify of their own accord. There is a cooling-off period of about 2/3 weeks in case the account owner changes their mind so it's very important to contact our support within this period if you change your mind. For normal monthly subscriptions, there's a longer cooling-off period but we can't guarantee a refund without reviewing the request in full so please contact our support as mentioned above regardless. 

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Many thanks,

francisaltesing
Tourist
7 0 1

hi

If I close my store and not be able to get the refund do I have access to the store or not?  Because I was thinking if I was not getting a refund I would like to continue for a month to try to get my money back somehow. But I really need the money now because I know I won't have time to run a store if I were to continue in my store. And Btw they asked for a government ID I gave my passport and they are asking for another government ID in which I don't have another one. so either way, if I do make money I still won't get the money because it will be in Shopify until I give a verification so that's one of the reasons why I can't continue too. Thanks

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi @francisaltesing,

I wouldn't be able to discuss a refund in this way as it depends on the set up of your store and when you were invoiced. I have emailed you with more direct information regarding the account though if you could take a look and reply back to my email. 

In regards to the ID, it sounds as though you are hoping to use Shopify Payments as your chosen payment gateway. Similar to how you would set up a new bank account, Shopify Payments would require the account owner to verify their information before opening a new payment gateway account. Normal ID's that they ask for would be a driving license, passport, a government-issued age card or similar. If you don't have ID's, then submit what you can and the team will review it in full. That being said, you don't have to use Shopify Payments to accept funds at the checkout. You can use many other gateways such as Paypal, Worldpay or Checkout.com for example. It would just vary depending on where you are located but you can check out our full gateway guide here for more info. 

Many thanks,