So apart from the fact that Shopify makes it IMPOSSIBLE to talk to or email customer service and I'm so very disappointed in their level of customer service as of late, I need help with my back end. When I try and search for a product out of all of my products, it says no products can be found. I know they are there as if I start just manually going through my product list, I can see them.
I've tried searching with keywords as well as tags.
Does anyone know why this is and how to fix it? I need this functionality to be working in order to properly run my store.
Hope all is well with you.
Can you please share your store Url and password if any so that I check and provide you a solution, and dont worry here are plenty of helpers and you will definatly get your problem resolved.
I have the same problem. The search function shows some products, but more and more keep disappearing. This really is very annoying and makes updating and editing products much more time consuming. I already tried deleting browers history, but this has no effect. The problem is the same for different browers and on different computers, so the problem really seems to be at Shopify's end.
Please resolve this as soon as possible.
I'm going to keep searching other help articles, but I'm surprised this one hasn't had an official response yet.
Using the product search function of the admin is not functioning correctly. Words that appear in the product title, when searched, are producing no search results. The product isn't archived or anything. I don't have any search filters toggled. It should absolutely be showing up and it's not.