'seo hidden' metafield not working properly

Peter590
1 0 2

We previously used the 'seo hidden' metafield on our Shopify store to hide certain products from our search field.  Today I added the metafield to some new products, but it was no longer working.

The metafield is:

"namespace" : "seo"
"key" : "hidden"
"value" : 1
"value_type" : "integer"

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Selig
3 0 0

Having the same issue as well, this is an issue with all the existing products that have this meta field as well. We have hundreds of products that were previously hidden, now visible within search. 

0 Likes
Joe47
Shopify Partner
13 0 5

We are seeing the same issue. It happens when a search query ends with a *. Lots of themes add this to search queries and it is causing an issue.

Something on Shopify's end must have changed recently.

justdavenow
Shopify Partner
7 0 1

Same issue started Friday. I've got 3 different sites using 2 different themes and 2 different metafield apps and all 3 are unable to hide products now using metafields.

On Friday support told me they dont have an issue from their side but reading this glad to know it isnt just me.

0 Likes
IonStorm
Excursionist
37 0 3

Has anyone found a solution yet? This is happening on all my sites. Big problem. I have almost as many hidden products as visible products. Why would shopify pull the plug on this without warning? Is there no alternative???

0 Likes
Selig
3 0 0

I've been in contact with Shopify, this appears to be an isolated issue with a theme developer. Are you using a Maestrooo theme by chance? 

Try the free Debut theme on as a preview theme and test. 

0 Likes
IonStorm
Excursionist
37 0 3

I'm using one of the Turbo themes. I think @Joe47 is completely right. I noticed when I delete the * from the url search paramter it fixes the issue. I don't know why it matters all of a sudden. It's going to be tough for people are aren't good at coding to fix this.

0 Likes
Joe47
Shopify Partner
13 0 5

This issue is not theme specific, but it is only exposed by themes that add a "*" to the end of search queries. Which is many of them.

The * is added so that your search does not have to match the entire word. This is especially useful if your store has a type ahead search.

For example if you have a product named "Gloves" and someone searches "Glove" without the * you will get no results but if your theme adds the * to make the search "Glove*" you will see the product in your results. If you change your theme to stop adding the * hidden products will not show up again. But this is not an ideal solution.

Shopify definitely changed something in the last couple weeks.

IonStorm
Excursionist
37 0 3

Agree, it was definitely recently. I feel silly that I didn't notice for ~1 week. The look ahead is useful for ajax autocomplete type searches so it might be worth it to keep the * and do another type of filtering during autocomplete. But for normal searches it definitely has to be omitted unless you want embarassing things showing up in search.

@Joe47 btw thanx, you saved me on this

0 Likes
justdavenow
Shopify Partner
7 0 1

just to note I have the same issue with the empire theme and supply both made by different developers.

I also notices that the products are hidden when in customize mode but as soon as you view live with a browser all hidden products are displayed.

0 Likes