We previously used the 'seo hidden' metafield on our Shopify store to hide certain products from our search field. Today I added the metafield to some new products, but it was no longer working.
The metafield is:
"namespace" : "seo"
"key" : "hidden"
"value" : 1
"value_type" : "integer"
Has anyone else encountered this issue?
We are seeing the same issue. It happens when a search query ends with a *. Lots of themes add this to search queries and it is causing an issue.
Something on Shopify's end must have changed recently.
I'm using one of the Turbo themes. I think @Joe47 is completely right. I noticed when I delete the * from the url search paramter it fixes the issue. I don't know why it matters all of a sudden. It's going to be tough for people are aren't good at coding to fix this.
This issue is not theme specific, but it is only exposed by themes that add a "*" to the end of search queries. Which is many of them.
The * is added so that your search does not have to match the entire word. This is especially useful if your store has a type ahead search.
For example if you have a product named "Gloves" and someone searches "Glove" without the * you will get no results but if your theme adds the * to make the search "Glove*" you will see the product in your results. If you change your theme to stop adding the * hidden products will not show up again. But this is not an ideal solution.
Shopify definitely changed something in the last couple weeks.
Agree, it was definitely recently. I feel silly that I didn't notice for ~1 week. The look ahead is useful for ajax autocomplete type searches so it might be worth it to keep the * and do another type of filtering during autocomplete. But for normal searches it definitely has to be omitted unless you want embarassing things showing up in search.
@Joe47 btw thanx, you saved me on this