Solved

setup paypal express checkout in development store

ismailalabou
Shopify Partner
34 2 3

shopify documentation says:

Shopify creates a PayPal Express Checkout account for the email address you used to set up your store...

i'm a bit confused, if shopify create my paypal acc; nvm there is actually a difference beetwen a PayPal Express & PayPal Standard.

The only real difference for your customers is the checkout flow. In Paypal Standard, your customer completes their check out and will be directed to the Paypal website. In Paypal Express, your customer go to the Paypal website first to approve the purchase and they go back to your website to finalize the order.
PayPal Express is very similar to PayPal Standard with one major difference: the checkout flow. ... This is a more reliable payment method than PayPal Standard, as the checkout is completed on your site, but the payment is done on PayPal's servers once your token is returned to PayPal.
Accepted Solution (1)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 368

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @ismailalabou!

Julie here from Shopify Support. I'd love to offer some clarity!

First off, many merchants who are new to Shopify do not already have PayPal Express Checkout accounts. This is why Shopify will automatically create an account for merchants with the email address that was used during the signup process. 

Since you have an existing PayPal account, you'll need to finish setting up your PayPal account to give Shopify permissions to your existing PayPal account. This will ensure that you can manually capture PayPal payments, refund customers, and receive your PayPal payouts right away.

Setting up your PayPal account in Shopify will also allow you to accept payments through PayPal Express Checkout. It sounds like you're already aware of the differences between PayPal Standard and PayPal Express Checkout, but I also wanted to add that another reason why PayPal Express Checkout is recommended is because support for PayPal Standard has been deprecated. 

You can finish setting up your PayPal account by heading to Settings > Payments. In the PayPal section, simply select Deactivate and then choose your PayPal account type. Then, you'll need to select Activate and enter your credentials for your existing PayPal account. After you follow the prompts there, your PayPal account will be set up with Shopify.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any further questions! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 368

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @ismailalabou!

Julie here from Shopify Support. I'd love to offer some clarity!

First off, many merchants who are new to Shopify do not already have PayPal Express Checkout accounts. This is why Shopify will automatically create an account for merchants with the email address that was used during the signup process. 

Since you have an existing PayPal account, you'll need to finish setting up your PayPal account to give Shopify permissions to your existing PayPal account. This will ensure that you can manually capture PayPal payments, refund customers, and receive your PayPal payouts right away.

Setting up your PayPal account in Shopify will also allow you to accept payments through PayPal Express Checkout. It sounds like you're already aware of the differences between PayPal Standard and PayPal Express Checkout, but I also wanted to add that another reason why PayPal Express Checkout is recommended is because support for PayPal Standard has been deprecated. 

You can finish setting up your PayPal account by heading to Settings > Payments. In the PayPal section, simply select Deactivate and then choose your PayPal account type. Then, you'll need to select Activate and enter your credentials for your existing PayPal account. After you follow the prompts there, your PayPal account will be set up with Shopify.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any further questions! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

stevereske
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Hi Julie - can you comment on when PayPal Standard was dropped?  We were in the process of building a store for a client and ran a test transaction through PayPal and it was an all-inclusive process where we weren't taken offsite.  Now when we went to turn PayPal back on we are getting the Express experience which as you know takes the user off the checkout page to complete the transaction.  Seems like we perhaps had Standard in place but now its gone....

Also, is there any PayPal gateway option that allows for the transaction to be conducted completely inside the checkout page experience?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

stevereske
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

@Julie  - tagging you on above follow up question.

ismailalabou
Shopify Partner
34 2 3
ismailalabou
Shopify Partner
34 2 3

hey once again @stevereske ;

i think for you to be able to use PayPal standard checkout you need to disable PayPal express checkout in shopify's payment settings.

also, this is how you gonna integrate standard payment in your website:
https://developer.paypal.com/docs/business/checkout/set-up-standard-payments/

ismailalabou
Shopify Partner
34 2 3

i hope this helps