shipping price same for 1 or 6

Highlighted
3 0 0

I have Calculated shipping set.  each item has a box size and weight.  A customer orders 6 of 1 item and the shipping is same as is for 1 item.  Sigh .... please I need help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
75 4 16

Hey @greenpetal,

You're running into Shopify's limitation of only having 1 box size that is sent off to the carrier for a live rate calculation (this is called a 'default box size'). The only way around this is to rethink your shipping strategy (i.e. flat rates based on cart price or weight), or to use a third-party shipping app. We built Smart Boxing for this exact use case, so if you're open to using a third-party app, it will help you return accurate live rates at checkout. 

The only limitation we have is that Shopify doesn't allow third-party apps to have access to their negotiated shipping rates, so you will want to create a manual % discount within the app to mimic their rates. Since you'll still fulfill using Shopify shipping, you can also just leave the shipping prices as-is so that you're accounting for any incidentals such as returns, lost packages, damaged packages etc.

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Well that sounds great but I only ship perhaps 30 a month tops.  It would have to be free.

Lynne

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
75 4 16

Hey @greenpetal,

As much as my company and others in the same space would love to be able to offer our apps for free, payroll, ongoing app development, and server infrastructure all cost money. 

There are no free options for this type of functionality, so your best option is to rethink your shipping strategy and offer flat rates based on weight or take a loss on some orders by charging your customers incorrect rates for shipping. 

Warm regards, 

Sharon

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Hi @greenpetal,

As Sharon has mentioned, you can either handle this by setting your shipping to use flat rates based on cart price or weight, or to use a shipping app. The Multi Carrier Shipping Label app would be a great fit for your needs. The app allows you to add different boxes for all the products and it will automatically choose the right box based on the customer input at checkout. Since you have mentioned that you only have 30 orders/month, you can use the $9/month plan, which might be affordable.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Sharon, I understand one has to make money as well.  $30.00 a month on top of Shopify is a lot for some very small businesses.  After this season is over, I will be lucky to get 2 or 3 orders a month.  

Lynne

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
75 4 16

Hey @greenpetal,

Thanks for clarifying. I figured since you noted it had to be free that I would explain why app developers are unable to offer apps at no cost.

We do offer a 'Starter' plan for for new stores for $14.99 that includes 100 orders (you have to ask us to create the plan), though like a lot of customers who we tried to support through COVID with this plan, Shopify's $20/mo carrier rates feature fee makes our lower plan offer unattainable - you'll be paying more for this feature to access the app than you pay for the app itself. This feature is required by Shopify to access all third-party shipping apps, though you can switch to annual billing and get it added for free while also saving 10% on your Shopify plan. 

Warm regards,
Sharon 

0 Likes