shopify total orders don't sync to Google Analytics

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi,

I have set up google analytics on the Admin Panel of my store.

But the total orders on shopify admin panel is different from the transactions on Google Analytics on same date period.

Revenue has the same problem.

Below is the total orders on shopify, it is 66

shopify_total_orders.jpg

Below is the transactions on Google Analytics, it is 43

google_analytics_transactions.jpg

Does anybody know why and how to fix it.

Any help are appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

I still no idea how to fix this.....

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 2

maybe you can try another analytics tool

Get actionable E-commerce tracking with Ecomfit app - http://tiny.cc/detail-ecomfit
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

conversion rate is not sync too.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

No clue I'm indeed encountering the same issue.

@Julie would you be able to help us?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
473 41 104

Hey, everyone! 

Julie here from Shopify Support. 

Generally speaking, discrepancies between Google Analytics and Shopify Analytics are to be expected. This is because both platforms gather and manage data quite differently. 

Because you're seeing a higher number of orders in Shopify, as opposed to Google Analytics, it's likely that some of your customers may not be allowing cookies or Javascript. Google can only count visitors with JavaScript and cookies enabled, so if the customer doesn't allow this, then Google won't record the sale. They may also have browser extensions that block Google Analytics from tracking sessions and purchases, in which case these sales would also not be recorded in Google Analytics. 

Another potential cause for the discrepancy could be due to the fact that both Google Analytics and Shopify may be reporting in different timezones. The timezone specified in the Settings > General section of your Shopify admin is used for Shopify Analytics. You'll need to make sure that Google is also reporting their data in the same timezone. Google has a help doc on how you can change the timezone of your reports here

Are you using any subscription apps? Google will only track purchases made on Shopify's online checkout. If you are using a subscription app like ReCharge or Bold Subscriptions, then the transactions are handled outside of Shopify's checkout and will not be accurately tracked by Google.

It's also a good idea to check the Additional Scripts section in Online store > Preferences. If any additional code has been added here, then it will interfere with the Google Analytics integration built in to the Shopify storefront. Removing this code should result in more accurate reporting. 

Lastly, you'll also need to ensure that you've enabled "Enhanced Ecommerce" in your Google Analytics account, as well as in Online store > Preferences in your Shopify admin. Based on the screenshot that @Leo31 shared, it looks like they already have this enabled. However, anyone else reading this will want to double check these settings.  

Because of these anticipated discrepancies, I recommend referring to Shopify Analytics for the most accurate reporting data. As your online checkout is managed directly through Shopify, the sales numbers you will see in Shopify Analytics will be an accurate reflection of your actual sales. 

If you're wanting to learn more about how you can use analytics to track your store's performance, feel free to check out our collection of blog posts on this topic here. We have quite a few blog posts on both Google Analytics and Shopify Analytics, along with tips and tutorials on how you can create and analyze custom reports, evaluate the success of your marketing campaigns, and use key performance indicators (KPIs) to narrow down impactful data points that can help inform your marketing tactics. 

I hope this helps explain the discrepancies you're seeing. Let me know if you have any further questions! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi @Julie,

Thanks for your extensive reply. We don't have any subscriptions running, or code added and have enhance eCommerce enabled at both GA as Shopify. The difference in sales is very big: -43% versus Shopify Analytics. Maybe some tweaks at Shopify side need to be done for more accurate GA measurement & tracking?

Best,

Jeroen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
473 41 104

Hey, Jeroen. 

Thanks for following up. Because all platforms gather, track, and manage data differently, it's quite difficult to find two platforms that will display the exact same results. 

In this case, it's very likely that your customers may not be allowing cookies or Javascript (which is quite common) or are perhaps using apps that block Google Analytics. Given the considerable difference, there may also be other variables at play here, but as Google Analytics is a third-party platform, it's difficult to pinpoint exactly where the discrepancies are coming from.

There's actually a great blog post on analyticsHelp.io that offers a closer look at why you'll find discrepancies between Shopify, Google Analytics, and even other popular eCommerce platforms.

In this post, it's suggested that Google Analytics is not an accounting software and was never meant to be used like one, so you shouldn't expect 100% accuracy in its tracking. For this reason, it's generally a good idea to instead refer to Shopify Analytics if you're looking for concrete sales data. This will ensure you have the most accurate information.

Nonetheless, I really appreciate your feedback and I'll be sure to raise this with our developers.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes