transfet domain from godaddy to shopify- email doubt

MinuSak
Excursionist
28 0 9

Hello,

Im planning to transfer my domain from godaddy to shopify. 

What happens to the mail ids i have using my domain name (mailid@domain.com)?

Will there be interruption in receiving mails during the transfer process?

Please help me

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
225 37 56

So as I understand, you want Shopify to Manage your domain, and point the MX records back to Goddady, and use their email hosting solutions (e.g. webmail)?|

Also, refer to this guide: https://cdn.dnsimple.com/documents/how-to-transfer.pdf

- I help businesses with eCommerce and Marketing Technology integrations.
- For consulting work inquiries, please send me a Private Message.
- Presently working in Toronto, CANADA.
MinuSak
Excursionist
28 0 9

Thank you.

Sorry I don't understand these terms like MX records. 

I want to transfer the domain from godaddy to shopify. Since shopify doesn't have mail options (like mail@domainname.com), i want to continue with godaddy.  I already have mail ids with my domain name.

I don't want any interruption in receiving mail. Tried contacting both customer care, but i could not get the answer.

Could you please help me in this.

0 Likes
Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
225 37 56

If I can ask, why do you want to transfer the domain from Godaddy to Shopify?
To make things easier, you could leave the domain hosted in GoDaddy--> go to Godaddy's DNS settings, and point the A and CNAME records to Shopify.
As such your Shopify site will load with your domain and you could seamlessly keep using the email solutions offered by GoDaddy.
https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/domains/add-a-domain/using-existing-domains/connecti...

But if you want to transfer the domain to Shopify, read this:
https://nickjanetakis.com/blog/how-to-transfer-a-domain-name-with-zero-downtime

MinuSak
Excursionist
28 0 9

Thank you so much.

Reason for changing domain from godaddy to shopify is have things in same provider. Thought that would be safer. Is it safe to have domain with godaddy but ecommerce plan with shopify?

Also, If i continue to use through godaddy ,will there be any loss of data or unusual behavior?

Saw this  Note in shopify :

Considerations for using a third-party domain for your online store

Before you start, review the following considerations:

• Unexpected behavior can occur when you use third-party proxies. Shopify isn't responsible for any loss of data.

• Shopify Support can't log in to your third-party domain account for you, even if you give your explicit permission. If you need help with your third-party domain settings, then contact your third-party provider’s support team.

• If you want to receive support for your domain settings from Shopify and manage all of your domain settings directly in your Shopify admin, then you can transfer your third-party domain to Shopify.

Could you please explain.

Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
225 37 56

Many keep domains at 3rd party domain registrars and point the DNS settings to Shopify and mx records to another email provider. It's really your preference how you want to arrange it.

If you want to keep everything in one place, transfer the domain to Shopify and keep emails at GoDaddy. Usually, there shouldn't be much of an outage when you do domain transfer (given correct configurations), but do open a ticket with GoDaddy, hear their input.

Godaddy support would be the best point of contact as they are your current registrar and email host.

0 Likes