urls for checkout process to put in Google Analytics Goals

Highlighted
1 0 0

I am trying to set-up google analytics goals to track the check-out funnel. However it looks like the url for every transaction changes on shopify. What urls can I use to put in google analytics to track the specific actions in the checkout process?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 43 76

Hi @AizomeMarketing ,

Dani here from Shopify!

That's awesome that you want to track that data through Google Analytics! And you're correct, each checkout will have a unique URL. But all checkouts will have a portion of the URL in common, which is what you can use to track the information. Have you had a chance to check out our help doc on setting up goals and funnels in Google Analytics? This help doc includes the URLs that you'll want to use for your checkout funnel:

I'd also recommend tracking the Thank You page URL as this will capture those that completed the checkout process as well. the URL to track this is /checkout/thank_you.

Are you currently tracking any other key performance indicators for your site? Since you're interested in analytics, I thought you may enjoy this blog post. It's filled with other indicators that you may not have thought of, but will provide further insight into how your customers are utilizing your website.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

All the best,

Dani

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 2

Hi,

By default Shopify sends a specific page url for each of the different steps in the checkout to Google Analytics.

Even though your browser URL for the checkout will be different for each checkout, Shopify will always send: "/checkout/thank_you" as the page URL to Google Analytics.

This means you can set up your Goal Funnel like this in GA:

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 11.02.30 am.png

Hope this helps!

Arve

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

We have this problem, and it's not working putting in /check_out/thank_you. Is there something else we can do?

Thanks.

@Arve_Solland wrote:

Hi,

By default Shopify sends a specific page url for each of the different steps in the checkout to Google Analytics.

Even though your browser URL for the checkout will be different for each checkout, Shopify will always send: "/checkout/thank_you" as the page URL to Google Analytics.

This means you can set up your Goal Funnel like this in GA:

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 11.02.30 am.png

Hope this helps!

Arve

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Please use "/checkout/thank_you"

0 Likes