weight based item pricing

zhao_he
1 0 1

I'm currently working on a shop for a client and one of the features of this client is selling weight-based products.

For example, White Rice might cost $1 per l kg.  I want to adjust the total of weight of the item when checkout.

Is there a way to do this, without having to create dozens of variants for each and every product? i.e., 1kg White Rice, $1; 1.1lb White Rice, $1.1, etc

John_O
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
143 0 19

Hi Zhao,

Thanks for your post!

Typically what stores of this nature would do is sell it in packages like 500g, 1 lbs, etc. We see this with tea or coffee. That's probably the best way to do it and not directly by custom weight for every order.

If you really wanted to do it by weight on each order, then you could do implement this by using the Bold app, Buy the Measurement. The Buy The Measurement app allows you to sell products by any measurement you can imagine! Area, Volume, Weight, Time or even combinations of them. You simply create the measurement fields and then you create the formula you want applied to it. It's $9.99 per month, but there's a 90 day free trial so check it out!

Hope this helps!

John | Shopify

peperodrisan79
1 0 0

Hello,

I'm searching for a solution for the exact same challenge that's outlined in the OP.

The Buy The Measurement app does not seem to exist anymore, and so far I could not find another app that would offer the same functionality.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

P

0 Likes
rnicola
1 0 0

I'm looking for the same thing.

There seems to be the possibility of activating a similar service but only for French or German stores.

Anyone know alternative solutions?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Maty_AaC
1 0 0

Same issue here. Have been looking for a solution but don't seem to find one. Having weight variants is not a solution, I would need to have an option for every 50grams. Hope we find an answer. 

Regards

0 Likes
jtdesign
Shopify Partner
30 0 4

Hi @rnicola 

Looking for exactly that if you have a solution :) 

Thanks 

0 Likes
Hen1
4 0 0

Does anyone found a proper solution for a product-based weight?

0 Likes
sweets_admin
Tourist
5 0 1

I'm here looking for a solution as well.  I came up with a work-around, but haven't implemented it yet.  It's pretty clunky and not efficient.  I basically created a product for every single weight...

Chocolate .001

Chocolate .002

Chocolate .003

etc.

This means that I'd need over 3500 items for each product.  Not ideal, but it would probably work.  Hoping someone has figured this out.  Thank you!

0 Likes
saivismitha
Shopify Partner
137 7 12

Hi,
Yes. The price and weight adjustments can be done by creating the shipping conditions under the shipping settings at the Shopify admin page.

Head to the “shipping and delivery” section under the shipping settings,

Next to the shipping profile where you want to add a free shipping rate, click Manage rates.
Next to the zone where you want to add a free shipping rate, click Add rate.

Here you can Add weight-based or price-based conditions.

Click on Add conditions. And create
1. For 1lbs weight, the shipping charge is $1
2. For each 0.1lbs increase in weight, the shipping charge also proportionally charges as $0.1.
Save the changes and update.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Hen1
4 0 0

After a very long research in the market, inclusing conversation with Shopify and also with App developers - currently there is NO any good solution for weight-based product!

There is only on App that having a sertin of solution (Measurement Price Calculator), but even they don't have a full solution, nevertheless the quality of the App.

I guess that it's a good opportunity for App delvelopers to provide this service.

Good luck!

0 Likes