Adding a tipping function to payment page

Highlighted
Shopify Expert
651 45 142

Hi @Wondermade, if you'd like I can set you up with this.

I'd also like to offer another perspective on your frustration of Shopify not adding a feature you'd like. I'm a fellow Shopify store owner and we don't need a tipping function - so I'd rather keep the low monthly rate than pay a higher rate to have extra features like this we don't use.

I think it's a good model of a low monthly price and then pay for only the add-ons needed. Just offering a friendly perspective in case you hadn't thought of it that way.

I'm a software developer as well (+ worked for tips for many years prior) and saw people wanted this, so I led the effort to build a solution (with my team).

If you'd like a tip feature, we got you covered, just give me a shout. 👍

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, send emails).
Creator of Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
I also build custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 3

Hey @JoesIdeas 

I think it's a false notion that extra features cost more money. That's not how software works coming from my background with 20+ years as a developer, both running my own shop and managing a team. Having features that are timely and mission critical for any significant subset of your customers is how you retain customers, though.

For a company with a nearly $75b market cap not to immediately implement an often-requested feature *is* insane. I get it's hurt your business. But this is precisely the reason I went with a large company instead of a home-grown solution. And this is why I'm figuring how who does support this (Square?) so that I can switch asap. Because if Shopify isn't responding to my needs now, of all times, I can go ahead and assume they won't in the future.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

I actually switched over from Square to Shopify because Square has insufficient pick-up/delivery options. But then I realized that Shopify doesn't have a tipping function, which, like you said is INSANE.

It seems very easy AND it means that Shopify makes more money on sales, so really it is a WIN/WIN.

Not allowing tipping on the online platform seems like an intentional move since it is offered through the POS system. It literally makes no sense and needs to be addressed ASAP. 

I'm working with an app developer from SpeedBooster and they're letting me trial their new tipping app. So far I'm happy with it. I'm getting no money for this, just want you to know.  

Reach out to Joe & Burak at SpeedBooster here:https://speedboostr.com/contact/

Good luck. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
45 4 7

I believe they're about to launch this functionality soon. This was discussed in the previous Shopify Partners Town Hall.

Shopify Expert @ Sounds Good Agency
Like this answer if it helped you
✅ Mark it Accept as Solution to help others find the right answer
Book a Free Call if you want to discuss your project | Follow me @davidsimoes_
2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 2

We are a bakery  and installed the free version  of In-Cart  Upsell and have  a  pulldown menu with set options to add a tip. Works, but make sure you make the pulldown menu with the amounts is very clear (the numbers are small). We found we got the best response when we added a word to the first variant name - for example:

Amount:  $0.50

Would love to find a good app with an input box for custom tips.

@wildflowerbaked wrote:

I'm sorry, but this seems like such a necessary and easy function to install. 

Especially at this time, customers and business owners ALIKE are demanding a tipping function for the order page. Square has it through their free online store. 

PLEASE HELP!!! I want to pay people fair wages and our customers want to support us. 

This needs to be addressed ASAP!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
651 45 142

Hey guys our app Tip Jar is live! 🎉 -- apps.shopify.com/tip-jar-app.

Thanks everyone that posted or emailed us from this thread - we've implemented your feedback and put together a nice customizable tipping feature you can add to your store.

Here's a demo: tip-jar-app.myshopify.com

I came up with the idea because I was a tipped worker for many years and wanted to help people in the industry + got requests in these forums so I put together a build team and prioritized this project to make it available to you as soon as possible.

I think it's especially relevant for businesses like:
- bakeries

- breweries

- restaurants and bars

- any business that does local delivery or curbside pickup

If you want to try it out, use this link to install the app and get 30% off for life. That discount is good until June 1st 2020. 👍

If you need help setting up or customizing, or want any features just let us know. There are 3 of us involved in the project and you'll get a welcome email after installing that you can reply to get ahold of us if you need anything.

Cheers everyone and thanks again for your feedback!

- Joe

Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi @JoesIdeas- this is great! Is there an option to make it a percentage of the cart or just pre-set amounts?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
651 45 142

@chrisoneill  kind of... haha we can do it but it's kind of messy because of the way products are added to the cart via the API.

Right now there's an option to show the % next to a fixed amount so you can articulate %'s, but not yet adding custom amounts.

We're working on a cleaner solution, this will be a feature at some point, hopefully soon!

If you want to be notified when we get % feature published send me a PM with your email address and I'll let you know as soon as that feature is live. 👍

Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
18 0 0

Hi all! My team and I have also built a Shopify app called TipGenius that really simplifies this process for store owners, and this week we are actually featured as a Staff Pick in the Shopify App Store!

TipGenius gives your customers the option of adding a tip or gratuity at checkout on your Shopify store by way of a gentle pop-up which you can customize with your own call-to-action text and tipping amounts.

Check us out at: https://apps.shopify.com/tipgenius

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hello,

We created a video on how to add tipping to your Shopify website: https://youtu.be/XEUTU2jR7V8

0 Likes