Newsletter Issues in Multi Language Shopify Store - Assign language to subscribers (klaviyo)?

Solved
LooMor
Tourist
6 0 0

Hello, I am having some serious issues setting up newsletter with a multi language shopify store... would appreciate if anyone could help, would be willing to also pay for any custom coding as needed.

Our website is in FRENCH (original language) and ENGLISH (translated language). We are using LANGIFY to manage translation, and KLAVIYO to manage newsletters.

THE PROBLEM - Currently, when people subscribe to our newsletter, they are all added into the same newsletter contact list inside Klaviyo. This is good, however the problem is that there is no language "tag" or language property associated to any of the subscribers which would allow us to identify their language, therefore we cannot create a French and English Segments inside Klaviyo... Without language segments, we cannot send newsletters specifically only for EN or FR subscribers.

I contacted Klaviyo support and they were not able to give me a solution, but they suggested we try to automatically assign a "Shopify Tag" to each subscriber because Klaviyo will automatically sync/import those shopify tags, thus allowing us to then create segment based on these tags. Others have suggested creating somekind of language property/attribute that would be pulled from langify and would automatically be assigned to each subscriber. I have no idea if these solutions are actually possible, the current dev I am working with hasn't been able to figure it out so far... there might be other / better solutions, I am open to suggestions.

No matter which solution we use, IT MUST be compatible with any of the potential ways that a user can subscribe to the newsletter... There are currently 4 ways a user can subscribe:

1. On the homepage there is a newsletter subscription form, this form was made with a module from our shopify template (ENVY).

2. In the footer there is another newsletter subscription form, this form is also from our shopify template (ENVY).

3. We also have a fly-in popup which was created with Klaviyo.

4. Finally, customers can subscribe during the shopify checkout flow/process by clicking a checkbox.

All these method of subscribing currently work, the contacts are added to klaviyo automatically, however as explained, the contacts do not have any language tag / property / attribute.

Help!?

0 Likes
Nicole_C
Excursionist
35 1 0

Hi , I hope you are well 

I'd be glad to help you for your request.

I have sent you a personal message.

Also , You may reach me at n i c o l e ( a t ) c i s i n l a b s (  d o t ) c o m.

Thanks for your time,

I am looking forward to our next conversation soon.

Have a good day!

With best regards,

Nicole S.

0 Likes
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2573 135 450

Klaviyo didn't suggest custom properties? https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005074627-Guide-to-Properties#ask-customers-for-them5 

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002050572 (see: text input block )

For the flows described there's critical information about different states missing (account, no account, logged in, has orders,etc)

So have to assume this is for any visitor even without account.

There's also if the service submits the info to themselves then uses the shopify api to create a contact or submits a contact to shopify then pulls the info with the api.

If a service uses shopify's contact form submission urls then you can simply add tags on new account-registration|contacts either in the services form, or your themes registration/contact templates. 

<input type="hidden" id="customer_tags" name="customer[tags]" value="TAG"/>

It's important to note a shopify tag is only applicable immediately at account registration, or contact submission; otherwise it's reliant on backend tools to create those tags based on other data somewhere. Meaning existing customers|contacts wont be updated to get new tags if you change the frontend forms under shopifys current frontend tag system.

So unless your flow only ever starts in those situations shopify tags on customer or contacts probably doesn't solve all the issues.

Not insurmountable but does take a lot of setup and testing different arrangements.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Seth_Roger
Excursionist
30 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

Hello,

Hope you are doing well,

I can surely assist you with your requirements.

Reach me on at seth1@talentsfromindia.cim to get the quote.

Best Regards!
Seth R

LooMor
Tourist
6 0 0

PaulNewton,

thank you for the information. To be honest this is getting slightly too complex for me, I'm not a dev myself... I sort of understand the concepts but, not too comfortable going in and doing the work myself. Would you be willing to set this up for us (paid of course)?

To clarify a few things:

- I am not sure if what you suggest would be working for when people subscribe during checkout?

- existing contact/customers in Shopify are not an issue, currently the store is not yet live, so we only have test contact/customers. We will be importing customers in klaviyo frommour previous woocommerce store, but these are already segmented by language.

0 Likes
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2573 135 450

@LooMor Your right the checkout process is a complication , most likely for that part you will still need a service/app running to tag those accounts after the fact.

zapier, integromat are common services used for simpler automations.

more complicated is with an app such as usemechanic that lets you script the automations such as having to map languages to tags.

they have sample scripts https://usemechanic.com/task/auto-tag-customers-that-accept-marketing ~+ https://usemechanic.com/task/auto-tag-orders-based-on-cart-attributes 

Would you be willing to set this up for us

Can't really just set it up because this isn't the type of thing that comes prepacked it has to be put together if at all from all the pieces in your use case.

If there's a healthy budget for it you can contact me to explore the problem at paull.newton+shopifyforums@gmail.com.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes