Solved

Flow - possible to use product tags?

Ian_Moffat
Tourist
5 0 2

Hello, 

Just getting into Flow, have searched and can't find the answer.

Looking to set up Flow to send an email when an order is created and one of the line item products contains a specific tag. Is this possible and, if so, how please?

"contains a specific tag" is the part I am stuck on. I have been able to get to line item options but can't see tags at that level.

Thanks,

Ian.

Accepted Solution (1)

paul_n
Shopify Staff
850 122 205

This is an accepted solution.

This was not possible with the old version of Flow, because it required going very deep in the data and Flow had a limit in place to do 2 levels deep (order.lineItems). That limit has been lifted with the new version of Flow and this is a key use case it enables. So in this case, you can check order / lineItems / product / tags. 

Paul_N | Flow Product Manager @ Shopify
- Finding Flow useful? Leave us a review
- Need Flow help? Check out our help docs.
- Building for Flow? Check out Flow's dev docs.

View solution in original post

Replies 13 (13)

S_Jones_UW
Shopify Expert
42 0 9

Hi Ian, 

I've not previously seen the ability to target product tags assigned to line items within Flow, but I can suggest a solution for you to consider.

Our Order Tagger app allows you to create rules that will tag your orders based on a set of criteria and conditions. We have a criteria that will analyse the product tags of all products contained within an order and check them against the conditions that you specify, e.g. is the tag "Vegan" contained within the product tags.

You can then apply a fixed tag to the order if your conditions are met, or, you can use our dynamic tagging feature to apply ALL of the product tags as order tags.

Then, using our Order Tagger Flow Trigger, you can create a workflow which will be triggered 30 seconds after Order Tagger has finished tagging or untagging an order.

Your workflow can be set to look for a specific Order Tag and, if found, you can use Flow's built-in actions to send an email to your admin team.

We have an article that covers the flow set-up of this scenario here which may help: Using Order Tagger as a Trigger in Shopify Flow

There are probably other decent solutions available so it's worth having a good look around. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about Order Tagger if you're keen to find out more.

Order and Customer Tagger apps for Shopify
Ian_Moffat
Tourist
5 0 2

Thank you for your reply. Sad to hear tags are available natively and will take a look at your app along with others.

Robert_Bond
Shopify Partner
14 0 3

I also have this need. Seems like a strange exclusion. In 75% of the times I go to use Flow, I come away with the answer "but it can't do that". Disappointing. Doing this by sku is going to be a lot more work.

OlegKuznetsov
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello,

React Flow app provides a solution that allows you to use product tags in the created order for a workflow.
For example, you can tag an order or send an email to the customer if any of the products from the order contains a specific tag.

You can use a template for quick setup or create your own workflow:

OlegKuznetsov_0-1639577923418.png

Hope this helps!:)

SNJ_Designs
Shopify Partner
3 1 2

Hi Ian,

While there isn't a direct way to do that, you may be able to use a workaround. What if you set up a flow to send an email when your inventory changes? It would look something like this;

Example flow.JPG

Ian_Moffat
Tourist
5 0 2

Thank you SNJ, appreciate you taking the time to reply and help with this. I will see if I can use that workaround to work for our situation. 

We sell pet food, some of which is general wellness and some is therapeutic. If (1) an order is placed for a therapeutic SKU and (2) the customer hasn't ordered that SKU before we want to check with their veterinarian to ensure they have purchased the right product to help their pet. I am trying to find a way to create a service ticket (by sending an email) if both of those (1 and 2) conditions have been met.

Best,

Ian.

SNJ_Designs
Shopify Partner
3 1 2

Hi Ian,

No problem! I actually may have another suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't believe you can send a customer email (variables won't work for the email field) automatically without an app. However, you could use this flow to send yourself or a team member an email;

Example flow.JPG

It would require a specific phrase to be included in all of your product titles (that you're trying to target with the flow). But how it works is when a new customer (no tag on their profile) places an order for that specific product, it will send you an email. Then you can reach out to the customer. This flow will also tag the customer so that they do not receive this email again.

The caveat to this is that maybe you have different types of products and so your emails will be different depending which items they purchase. In which case, you could set up multiple If statements to check for various product titles or skus, which results in a different email template and different customer tag to be applied to their account. 

I hope this helps! 

Ian_Moffat
Tourist
5 0 2

Thank you, it will require a number of contains statements, but I think I can get this to work using product titles.

Really appreciate you taking the time to explain and lay out the steps - most helpful.

Ian.

M0w45
Excursionist
37 0 6

I was wondering if there was any update on using product tags in Flow without going with a 3rd party app? I am trying to add an order tag when an order is created and when a line item has a specific product tag.

I.e: A product is tagged with "Special-Order-Item". I now want to make sure all orders containing a special order item can be tagged so we can fulfill it differently than an order where products are in stock. 

I know I can even list all SKUs for these special order items. However this isn't ideal since I have a lot of special order items and I don't want to be updating the SKU list anytime I add new special order items. My workaround was to add "(Special Order Item)" to all applicable product titles. It isn't ideal, but that's the only option I was able to come up with. 

Curious to find out why something as simple as this is not doable in Flow yet. 

Ian_Moffat
Tourist
5 0 2

Product tags have not been added as far as I know - last looked Tuesday this week.

I ended up using multiple if line item name contains rather than SKU's. Due to our naming I was able to use 4 different name queries to cover the 40 SKU's I needed.

YvanHK
Shopify Partner
13 1 1

I would like to up this thread, I don't understand why it is not already built in.

OlegKuznetsov
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello,

React Flow app provides a solution that allows you to use product tags in the created order for a workflow.
For example, you can tag an order or send an email to the customer if any of the products from the order contains a specific tag.

You can use a template for quick setup or create your own workflow:

OlegKuznetsov_0-1639576672204.png

Hope this helps!:)

paul_n
Shopify Staff
850 122 205

This is an accepted solution.

This was not possible with the old version of Flow, because it required going very deep in the data and Flow had a limit in place to do 2 levels deep (order.lineItems). That limit has been lifted with the new version of Flow and this is a key use case it enables. So in this case, you can check order / lineItems / product / tags. 

Paul_N | Flow Product Manager @ Shopify
- Finding Flow useful? Leave us a review
- Need Flow help? Check out our help docs.
- Building for Flow? Check out Flow's dev docs.