Solved

Start Workflow when Product price changed

milindpatel
Shopify Partner
60 1 15

I want to do some action when product price is changed is there any feasibility on this in shopify workflow?

Accepted Solutions (2)
AnthonyKentris
Shopify Staff
33 15 16

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @milindpatel, that makes complete sense! That's a great idea. I understand why it would be valuable for your business as well.

Right now I think your solution would have to be watching for a webhook when the price changes. But like I said, I'll take this back to the product team as a use case for that trigger. Thank you!

Anthony // Product Marketing Manager @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - Learn about Shopify Plus

View solution in original post

paul_n
Shopify Staff
942 128 225

There currently is a way to run a workflow based on product updates. You can use a Scheduled time trigger that repeats every hour. And then you get use a "Get product data" query to get products that changed in that timeframe (see the updates in the action for how to set it up).  

That said, you cannot tell if the price changed or not by default. That's why having a "product/updated" event doesn't actually solve this, because it too doesn't tell you what the values were before the event.  To solve this most easily, what you need is either a "price changed" trigger or a "product/updated" trigger that provides any values that changed as well as their previous values. 

Paul_N | Flow Product Manager @ Shopify
- Finding Flow useful? Leave us a review
- Need Flow help? Check out our help docs.
- Building for Flow? Check out Flow's dev docs.

View solution in original post

Replies 11 (11)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @milindpatel,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Thanks for reaching out about this. This likely just when the product price is changed in the admin, but I was also talking to one of my colleagues @AnthonyKentris about this and feel this would be much better with Anthony in the conversation. Maybe Anthony can provide more insight on the matter when he finds a moment. 

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

AnthonyKentris
Shopify Staff
33 15 16

Hey @milindpatel,

If what you wanted to accomplish is what my colleague Nick described, right now there is not a trigger in Flow that will start a workflow when a product price is changed (either manually in the admin or through the API). It's a great suggestion though, I'll take it back to the product team.

It would help if you explained the use case in which you needed this, so if we ever build this functionality, we know what it's solving.

milindpatel
Shopify Partner
60 1 15

Thank you so much @AnthonyKentris @Nick 

As we are providing wishlist feature to our application flits -> https://apps.shopify.com/flits.

What we wanted to do is whenever product price changes send notification to customer who have added that product to wishlist.

If Shopify flow can give me trigger for that then It will be easier at our end to send notification to customer.

As we don't need to sync All products (Shopify plus store mostly have larger number of products).

We don't need to listen product create/update/delete webhook (Shopify plus always fire more webhooks.)

ETC,ETC

Over all using flow we can reduce our price structure and load to our servers.

It will be really beneficiary to have this trigger.

AnthonyKentris
Shopify Staff
33 15 16

Hey @milindpatel, that makes complete sense! That's a great idea. I understand why it would be valuable for your business as well.

Right now I think your solution would have to be watching for a webhook when the price changes. But like I said, I'll take this back to the product team as a use case for that trigger. Thank you!

milindpatel
Shopify Partner
60 1 15

Hey @AnthonyKentris ,

Yeah Great no issue in that.

There is no direct webhook to get price change.

We need to listen product update webhook then need to compare with our database products price.

Is there any shortcut for that? or any other workaround let me know that.

Thank you.

AnthonyKentris
Shopify Staff
33 15 16

Hi @milindpatel,

The best place to ask your question would be the Shopify APIs & SDKs forum.

Good luck!

CDavies
Tourist
7 0 1

Was this feature ever implemented? I can't find price change or product update as a trigger. 

Currently interested in automation with Flow
eric64418
Tourist
3 0 0

Has this been implemented? I was looking for the same functionality as OP

gary07
Tourist
27 0 3

Hi 

Did you find the solution at the end?

JasonO
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

Also looking for a solution to this.

paul_n
Shopify Staff
942 128 225

There currently is a way to run a workflow based on product updates. You can use a Scheduled time trigger that repeats every hour. And then you get use a "Get product data" query to get products that changed in that timeframe (see the updates in the action for how to set it up).  

That said, you cannot tell if the price changed or not by default. That's why having a "product/updated" event doesn't actually solve this, because it too doesn't tell you what the values were before the event.  To solve this most easily, what you need is either a "price changed" trigger or a "product/updated" trigger that provides any values that changed as well as their previous values. 

Paul_N | Flow Product Manager @ Shopify
- Finding Flow useful? Leave us a review
- Need Flow help? Check out our help docs.
- Building for Flow? Check out Flow's dev docs.