Any app to select customer with barcode?

Shopify Partner
8 0 1

We are wanting to start up one of the loyalty apps and need to select a customer in order for their purchase to count toward their points.  Are there any apps that can scan a barcode (real scanner or QR with the camera) and pull up the associated customer?

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
339 0 48

Hi Chris,

I honestly have no idea - I hope someone in the forums can assist you. I'm not sure if any of the embedded POS apps do this already, though.

I'm subscribing to the thread so that hopefully I will be notified if there is! :)

Alicia | Support Lead for Shopify
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1658 48 164

Hey Chris, can you share some details of the flow involving the barcode?

Where does barcode come from, where is it(card,receipt)? Is there a reason names,phone-number,etc are not suitable lookup data?

What's the problem your trying to solve? etc.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
8 0 1

I'm trying to find a way for the less tech-savvy employees to be able to quickly assign a customer to a purchase for the sake of our loyalty program.  To remember to click a button and hunt-and-peck their way through every sale seems like a bottleneck.  Also, they and/or the customer would have to remember to supply their phone number in order to get their points.  It could become a problem if they thought they did, forgot, whatever, and didn't recieve those points.

In addition, I'd like to have loyalty cards printed like they have in many other stores, to seem more "sophisticated" or "official" for lack of a better term.  This way they can supply their card with each purchase and it becomes a 5 second or less procedure to associate that customer with the order.

The card idea means I would need to have numbers pre-generated and be able to associate them with a customer.  This number could be stored as a searchable tag but it would be a long number and would then take a while to type in - if you can't just scan it.

Things need to be as simple and quick as possible and the ability to scan a QR code when you hit "add customer" the same way they do for gift cards, seems extraordinarly simple.  Using the 2D barcode scanner for the same purpose would also work.  The only obsticle is how to associate a pre-generated ID to a customer.  That can be stored/looked up as a tag but then you'd have a TON of unique tags after a while and I don't think that's what tags are meant for.  You can't lookup by customer note, but if they could make the customer "Notes" field searchable from the POS and pop up the QR scanner when you click "add customer", we'd be there.  Or add a new searchable field in the customer profile for "Associated ID" and lookup by that, keeping the "Notes" field free for real notes.

I spoke with someone at Shopify this morning who is running that idea by the app team.  Seems like a very simple update, most of the programming is there but is being used for other purposes.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1658 48 164

Pushbacks: 

I'm trying to find a way for the less tech-savvy employees 

Barcodes and barcode scanners don't come with tech savvy baggage?

Also, they and/or the customer would have to remember to supply their phone number in order to get their points.  It could become a problem if they thought they did, forgot, whatever, and didn't recieve those points. 

They also have to remember the barcode. If they did forget and didnt' recieve points how does a barcode solve that?

In addition, I'd like to have loyalty cards printed like they have in many other stores, to seem more "sophisticated" or "official" for lack of a better term.

Adding X to raise your "sophistication",etc raises redflags, indicates some deeper issue your hoping gadgets will solve; which may not have any thing to do at all with: barcode scanners being a valid tool.

Personally i hate loyalty cards, it's another thing to be saddled with to make a purchase.

This way they can supply their card with each purchase and it becomes a 5 second or less procedure to associate that customer with the order.

Versus training employees into being proactive into remember repeat customers? Bit hypocrital of me as remembering lots of names isn't my strong suit. Yes there are problems with that but if this is about reducing a customers time in line: the biggest gain is if they are known before they even get to checkout. Is physical checkout an in-store bottleneck for people to move around, is this a physical space issue?

The card idea means I would need to have numbers pre-generated and be able to associate them with a customer.  This number could be stored as a searchable tag but it would be a long number and would then take a while to type in - if you can't just scan it.

This would be an implemtation detail if you went with this, but most likely why pre-gen number if the customer loyalty doesn't change just use the customer id. There's something missing here.

Things need to be as simple and quick as possible and the ability to scan a QR code when you hit "add customer" the same way they do for gift cards, seems extraordinarly simple.

But it's not or you'd have it. The number of prequisites here is greater than 2 and the number of steps is over 10. Not disagreeing this seems incredibly useful and obvious just lots of holes.

Using the 2D barcode scanner for the same purpose would also work.  The only obsticle is how to associate a pre-generated ID to a customer.  That can be stored/looked up as a tag but then you'd have a TON of unique tags after a while and I don't think that's what tags are meant for.

I must be having a long day but why the need for "pre-generated ID"?

You can't lookup by customer note, but if they could make the customer "Notes" field searchable from the POS and pop up the QR scanner when you click "add customer", we'd be there.

Customer groups might be an option but like tags would grow fast in numbers.

Or add a new searchable field in the customer profile for "Associated ID" and lookup by that, keeping the "Notes" field free for real notes.

Really long day apparently i'm missing the point of "Associated ID" what's wrong with customer id? Is this about validating being in the loyalty program? wouldn't the physical barcode be the validation?

I spoke with someone at Shopify this morning who is running that idea by the app team.  Seems like a very simple update, most of the programming is there but is being used for other purposes.

I'd put money the reductive feature would be customer barcodes that are just customer id's possibly with a hash.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
8 0 1

Ok

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Chris. This was also a problem for me and found a quick fix solution, not a permament one I hope hehehe. I fill in the full customers name in the "First Name" field in the pos app and then I scan the 2D pregenerated code on my loyalty card in the "Last Name" field. You will be able to scan the barcode and get the customers name straight up or you can even search by first or last name and get the name you are searching for. We have been doing this for our loyalty program with the Sweet Tooth app and has worked great so far, would be awesome if shopify had a field dedicated for this though. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
8 0 1

Interesting!  I'd like to keep the last name but I wonder if you could put a hyphen and then the ID.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 0 0

@Sue-Ann I was interested to see that you had a fix for a customer lookup using a 2D barcode scan for the "Last Name". As I am trying to set up my POS to do this, and I don't have all the hardware, I was wondering how you would set it up to do this, as I am still experimenting and using an Android device without any external hardware. Does one select any field and then just scan with an external scanner to populate the field? Or can one use the built-in scanner for iPad? I would be grateful if you could share specifics of what you did.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Why not generate a barcode including the persons full name. When you search for the customer on the POS scan the barcode and it will enter they’re name. This would require you to create custom loyalty cards though each time a new customer joins.

0 Likes