Any way to capture online order payment using POS?

Shopify Partner
2 0 3

Hello there,

My business invlose customer ordering  stuff online but without paying upfrone.   When the item was delivered, my delivery man will collect either cash or credit payment. 

Right now, we have the POS swipe hardware to capturing credit card  on delivery. However, this is just creating an new order  in the POS channel, instead of completing the online order.  Then we are left with a aucward situation:

1. if we manually complete the online order,  we have to refund the POS order in order to have right accounting in our account. 
2. if we cancel the online order and use the new POS order,  the delivery man has to input all of the order details in POS  to make sure it all the trackings work properly.  This is very time consuming

So if there is a way to use POS to pay for the online order,  it would be great. Anyone know if this is possible?

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
29 0 1

Hey Yu Gao!

Alida here from Shopify. 

This sounds like a great use of the POS! As of right now, there's no way to use the POS natively to pay for an online order (whether it be via drafts or to accept and mark as paid from the orders admin). It's a great idea, though! 

One option we could explore at this time is to have the delivery person create a "custom sale" in the POS and name the custom sale after the customer, or their original order number; then, you could mark the original online order as paid. This wouldn't quite reconcile the accounting side, but it wouldn't negatively affect inventory. Here's our guide on creating a custom sale: https://docs.shopify.com/manual/sell-in-person/transactions/products/custom-sales ;

We are constantly looking to improve our POS functionality, as well as Shopify as a whole. I can certainly suggest this to the team for the future, however there are a lot of programming nuiances to consider when trying to build features that involve multiple sales channels. That being said I think this is a great idea and I will pass that along!

Hope this helps, and thanks for reaching out! Also, those cakes look absolutely amazing!

1 Like
2 0 0

Hi,

Is there any update on this?

Some of my customers place orders online and pay on collection. I don't want to create a new order just to take their payment as it messes up my accounts.

We just need a 'Take Payment' option above the 'Refund Order' button.

Why does it appear to work on partial payments: https://help.shopify.com/manual/sell-in-person/transactions/select-payment-methods/multiple-partial-...

I notice that 'This Post is Outdated' is there an update/solution?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 0 0

We have exactly the same issue!!

Some customers place orders online and pay on collection.

We just need a 'Take Payment' option above the 'Refund Order' button.

Why can you refund an online order but cant take a payment...? that just doesnt make sense!!!

0 Likes
1 0 0

same here,
any solution yet?

0 Likes
Excursionist
19 0 5

We're asking for this since years. I don't understand how Shopify doesn't have this feature, as it seems so obvious. After all they are providing an app for online sales and a POS app that uses the same data. In order to serve the multi channel purpose, this should be a no brainer. 

It would be interesting to get someone from shopify to respond...

0 Likes
2 0 0

I've just emailed Shopify Support asking someone to comment on this thread to give us an update...

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
8 0 0

same here,
any solution yet?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Same issue for us, we have many customers placing orders on line and they for them when picking them up in store. I prefer they pay in store because they usualy end up adding items to their order so it increases my sales. It is strange that we can easily see and pick-up an online order through the POS but we can't capture payment for it!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Are there any updates on this topic/suggestion? Seems many of us are looking for such an option.

Thanks

0 Likes