Australian POS availability ?

2 0 0

I just wanted to clarify the availability of POS in Australia.

From what I understand you can use the POS but the hardware is not available and you are unable to process payment - is this correct?

So if I choose to I can use the POS click a different payment method, swipe the credit card on my own merchant machine and then when its gone through I click paid on my POS payment.

Do I have this right?

If this is correct what fees do I pay?  Am I simply paying the $50 monthly fee?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9764 86 1510

From what I understand you can use the POS but the hardware is not available and you are unable to process payment - is this correct?

The compatible hardware can be sourced locally but as Shopify Payments is not here yet you'll need to process the payment via your merchant eftpos machine (assuming that's what you've got). The process you describe is essentially right. You click 'other' on the pos, enter the amount manually into the eftpos machine and once it goes through mark it as paid on the pos.

There's a thread here with some more info:
https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-point-of-sale/t/pos-in-australia-173967

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 13

Hi Anna, You'll find the thread that Jason provided really useful. Also, here is an article that talks about using payment types for marking orders as paid with an external payment terminal. Shopify POS pricing can be found here. If you're planning to only use Shopify POS without gift cards, the price would be $49/month (unlimited iPads). Shopify POS takes no transaction rate for using an external terminal, so the monthly pricing is all you would need to consider.

We are also working on a more integrated Shopify POS payment solution for Australia, but I'm unable to give you specific dates at this point in time.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
2 0 0

Thanks Jason and David that's really useful.  

I guess it's one extra step but not too bad until the payment solution comes to AUS.  

The hardware package mentioned in that thread is quite reasonable.  Very interesting and can't wait to show my partner.

0 Likes