Automatically assign barcodes? I don't think so.

Excursionist
22 0 9

It appears that the only way to have barcodes assigned automatically is to go through the barcode printer app, but when you click on that and land on the app page, what you get is an entirely unfilterable list of what Shopify claims are your most recently added items (they aren't, btw). There appears to be NO WAY to add to that totally useless list of items. And thus, NO WAY to actually have your barcodes assigned automatically. Am I wrong?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
232 0 27

Hi John,

To automatically assign barcodes to your products you need to click the "Assign Barcodes" button on the top right corner: http://docs.shopify.com/pos/operating-pos/barcode-printing/assign-barcodes

The list of "most recent" products should be correct now. Let me know if it's not.

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 9

It's not. Not on mine, in any case. Just checked it again and my list has mostly things that were added over three weeks ago and a couple things that were added about two weeks ago. And it's stayed pretty much the same, regardless of what items I add; for example, the jewelry I put in last night is nowhere to be found. And while we're talking about it, why in the world isn't this just a sortable list of my whole inventory?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
232 0 27

Hi John,

Try now, there looks to have been an error preventing correct sort, sorry about that.

And while we're talking about it, why in the world isn't this just a sortable list of my whole inventory?

Your whole inventory is available under "products". You can print barcodes directly from product pages under "more options". The "Recent Products" is just meant to be a time saver for when you are adding a few products and associating/printing barcodes. 

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 9

Dude, obviously I know my whole inventory is available under products. I'm pretty sure, though, that the only place to automatically assign barcodes (see the title of this thread) is in the "Recent Products" that show up in the barcode app. Tell me I'm wrong, and I'll be a happy man (at least as far as this issue is concerned).

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
232 0 27

Hi John,

The "Assign Products" will assign barcodes to all your products. Not just the recent ones. 

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 9

So wait, that button applies to my entire inventory, not just the items on that page? And so I have only two options when assigning barcodes: assign barcodes to any items that don't already have a barcode, or overwrite every single existing barcode in my inventory? And there's no way to pick and choose a selection of items to automatically assign barcodes to? I guess I have a new problem ...

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 9

But on a happier note, I'm getting my most recent items on that page now, thanks.

0 Likes