BEST POS hardware for New Zealand

3 0 0

We are opening a retail shop in New Zealand and looking for advice on the most reliable POS hardware.  The socket mobile barcode scanners have generally negative reviews in terms of functionality (from what we can see).  If we have android tablets, is there another option for barcode scanners that will work (without having to tap the search icon before scanning each product)?

Also interested in feedback on receipt printers and cash drawers.

Cheers!

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2286 152 312

Hi @TGNZ,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Shopify created POS hardware is only available to Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, or Ireland. Because of this and since you are based in New Zealand, you would need to purchase your POS hardware from an external vendor. Shopify made a list of the POS hardware it support for store owners outside of the countries mentioned. You can see the list here. It could be worth your time to research and look through all of the models listed in the help guide to find the ones you like the best and feel will work for you. 

Hope this helps! 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi Nick, 

That's great, thank you for that list.  Our other question would be, is anything compatible with Android tablets, or is it safest to go with iPads still?

Cheers!

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2286 152 312

No problem at all @TGNZ

I'd say your safest bet is still to go with an iPad. While the Shopify POS app does work with Android devices (as seen in the screenshot below), 19-09-wiju5-cv9me

iPads are still the only device which can work with any POS hardware. You can see from the screenshot on how many products each device can catalog which shows only iPads: 

19-09-aesje-cm3if

The team at Shopify has written an FAQ page for POS which answers this and some other questions that might interest you here.  

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like