Badly needed: Variable Price Items

I've been thinking about your post for a few days now.

Wouldn't it work to have a wedding band be the product. With variants for the additions/amendments?

Rose gold band - product
Variants:
1. Large diamond, medium diamond, small diamond.
2. Size
3. Etc

Or is it not that straight forward for pricing?
1 year e-commerce, 7 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 8

A variable price item would be a hugely helpful addition to Shopify. As with the original poster, we are a manufacturer who offers both stock items and customized versions of those stock items. All I would really need to make this work is the option to add a variant marked "custom" that would allow me to put in a price manually and add a note to the line item that specifies the customization. This could default to my base price, but be adjustable. I've looked through some of the suggested apps, but they look to rigid to suit my needs. From what I can tell, to use the Bold app without messing up my stock items, I'd have to recreate my entire inventory a second time to offer the custom items. As the stock items are pre-made and the custom are on-demand, I can't show any options on the pre-made items. I realize that the Shopify platform is not meant for this degree of complexity, but this seems like a fairly simple addition to me.

1 Like
Tourist
5 0 2

This product feature request was raised in 2015 and 4 years after we still demanding it ????

Why Shopify think this is not feature to have or not required???? Has anyone even taken a note of it?

We been using Shopify for 1 year now and honestly it is so frustrating and made me insane.

1 Like
Highlighted

I'm not sure how your store would use it. But I certainly felt the same way. I was very frustrated as I was used to having a variable priced product with our old POS system. It took me a year, but after putting the work in to create a product with variants that worked, I can see now how it is much better than having a variable priced option in my scenario. Try your hardest to sit down for an hour and try a few different ways playing with variants and products and see if you can find a system that will be tracked properly. Might be possible. 

1 year e-commerce, 7 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 4

Hi Shawn, I appreciate the idea, and I can certainly understand that creating variants is a solution for some folks, but it would never work for our store. We are in a niche industry that partners with a pattern/recipe website that offers a "buy in store" program for Canadian buyers. I also do not set the prices for these items, I am just a reseller, so I cannot standardize the prices. 

Furthermore, the prices are converted from USD to CAD based on the daily conversion rate. This means that the prices are always bizarre - $7.46, $7.62, $7.53 - etc. To create a unique variant for each of these prices would be impossible (I don't know what the prices are until the printer spits it out), not to mention unruly for my team. 

1 Like
Tourist
9 0 8

Ditto to the above. I have over 100 items that already have 24-36 size options set up as variants, but also offer a choice of 20 assorted customizations each. Customers can apply any mix of the customizations. The permutations of that as individual variants would be completely insane. Right now we're trying to do it with the customizations as a separate line item, but even then the invoices become really confusing for most people. Since the basic item stays the same but some of the customizations carry a cost, I'd like to be able to input the price manually and put the customizations into the notes. Shopify POS lets me do this as a quick sale item, which works okay but it doesn't track sales. Online doesn't offer the quick sale option, even in draft orders, so that's where the itemization comes in. Since the quick sale functionality is there and allows me to manually enter a price, I don't see why that can't be applied to one variant marked "custom" of my base item. That way all my stock variants keep their pricing, but the custom variant would let me enter a price manually. It's the only way I can maintain the tracking on my sales, and would save me having to phone the customer and ask for a credit card number so I can sell it through POS.

1 Like
2 0 0

Yes. We are selling sausage, and need to be able to sell product by the pound. If we were even able to sell decimal "quantities," that would be an acceptable work-around, so that the item price becomes the by-the-pound price. As above, this is such basic functionality we didn't check if it was available, especially on a product marketed to "farm stands."

0 Likes