Barcode Creation & Scanning

Shopify Partner
9 0 2

We are setting up our NEW online store as well as our NEW retail store with the new Shopify POS.

I need clarification on how the process works for barcodes. 

Our products will be barcoded with in-house use barcodes only. We want to use in-house barcodes to make sales and inventory tracking easier.

Is this how it works?

1 - I generate a unique barcode for a single product/item

2 - Scan the barcode into the Shopify POS app

3 - Enter and Save the product details like size, price, product name into the POS app

.......When a customer comes in, purchases a pair of shoes, at the checkout counter we:

1 - Scan the barcode label on the shoe box

2 - The Product comes up on the Shopify POS screen with the product details/price/size

3 - Process the Sale

4 - The product comes out of our POS app and online inventory

Any clarification or suggestions on this process would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
7 0 1

Hey TerriS, congratulations on setting up your new store!

Your second set of steps that has to do with actually processing a sale is 100% correct. You scan the barcode, the correct product variant will be added to your cart, you process the sale, and your inventory will reflect this sale.

At this time we don't yet support scanning barcodes to actually add a product to your inventory through POS, as you suggested in your first set of steps. This is something we are looking into; expect to see this in the future.

For now, you'll need to add the barcodes manually through your web admin page.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
235 0 27

Hi Terri,

Just to elaborate, you can associate any barcode number with the product variants you have in Shopify web admin. You can either 1) manually enter the code or 2) add your barcode scanner as a "keyboard" to your computer and then just scan the barcode (it will automatically populate as if it was being typed)

Here is a screenshot of the edit variant form: https://www.monosnap.com/image/dYoTQS12I0bkczu0HCkrq5XZp

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
9 0 2

Thanks to both Shopify Employees for your feedback!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
9 0 2

During Checkout using the Shopify POS - when I scan the barcode label I generated upon entering the product in ADMIN - does it relate to and retrieve the UPC or the SKU of the product? Very confused on this at this point.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
27 0 3

Hi Terri, 

If you look at the admin interface, you want to set the Barcode option under a variant.

So, you would go to Products > [Product Name] > Variants > Edit.

Similar to as you see below. 

Hope this helps!

Julian Nadeau

Cheers! Julian Nadeau Developer, Shopify Mobile http://shopify.ca
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
11 0 0

Two questions:

Q1. How do you get the Barcode products on the label you put on the product, into the system ?

Q2: Do you make the SKU and the Bar Code the same number for simplicity sake /

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
27 0 3

Hi Roy!

I'm not sure I understand Question 1, however, if I am not mistaken, you are asking how to get a product that already has a barcode into the system? There are two options here: Either manually enter the barcode, or download a CSV of your products, put any barcodes in there, and then re-import. 

Protip: You can auto-generate barcodes in our barcode app, if that helps.

Q2: This is not necessary :) The barcode is for scanning, the sku is not related.

Julian, Shopify Mobile

0 Likes
5 0 0

Hi,

I am just setting up shopify POS into our shop and was wondering with the barcodes that I have already on the products in the shop can these be put into shopify using the scanner or do I need to type these in manually?

Thanks Deb

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
27 0 3

Currently, the only way for barcodes to be entered is through manual entry.

You could use our API if you had a number of products.

I had also made a bit of an error before, the barcode is not currently available via CSV.

We're working on a better solution :)

0 Likes