Barcode reader and printer - where to start?

2 0 0

I have been using the Shopify POS on an iPad for a few months and I have been very happy with it. I just recently purchased the Dymo 450 and Socket barcode scanner. I can't figure out what to do next to start using these items with the POS. Is there a start up guide somewhere that I haven't found? Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
53 0 15

Socket barcode is realtively plug and play.  If from POS the Socket does not connect then go out of shopify app into ipad settings/bluetooth and connect to it.  If not connecting then turn socket off then on again to signal that is discoveable.  

Dymo is a great product BUT:

(1) integration into shopify is very poor. Optionality just is not there.  You have to use the Dymo software fom desktop to getting it working properly.  Watch videos on youtube and also go to their site.  I have tried to use from Shopify and it simply works only within very limited options available which is disappointing.

(2) no ink which is great.  But if you put sticker on plastic bag (say for clothing item wrapped for protection) the ink will fade rathers quickly.  Still scanable generally but very faded.  Only solution I have come up with is to use two sticker labels.  The top one does not fad then but generally an expensive fix as it doubles your label costs.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
298 0 155

Hey Alissa!

There definitely is! 

Here's the guide for the barcode scanner: https://docs.shopify.com/pos/retail-package/setting-up/install-hardware/barcode-scanners/1d-barcode-...

Here's the guide for the barcode printer: https://docs.shopify.com/pos/retail-package/buying-hardware/supported-shopify-pos-hardware/barcode-p...

Each one has a video for the setup, some overview, and some troubleshooting information in case things aren't exactly right.

If you ever get super stuck, feel free to call 1-888-746-7439 and let us know what issues you're having. We can get it sorted! 

Have a good day! 

-Alex M.

Shopify Guru | support@shopify.com

1 Like