Battery life after update??

35 0 0

I'm running Shopify POS on 2 iPads. Up to about a week ago, I'd go through an entire day and at the end of it, both iPads would still be above 90% battery life remaining. I could obviously go a whole week between charges. I never had to worry about a particularly busy day running down my batteries.

About a week ago there was a POS update. A lot of seemingly random stuff changed, but the big thing I noticed is a huge negative, and that's the battery draw. Suddenly I'm down to literally 30% battery after a light day's use. "Luckily" I have not had any really busy days since the update or I'd probably have run out of juice before closing. (Just today one of my employees vacuumed up one of our iPad charging cables by mistake - obviously not Shopify's fault - but now I'm worried about making it through the day tomorrow whereas before I could have easily just charged it tomorrow night.)

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm sure it's not a fluke because it's on two iPads and I run literally nothing else on these things - they are strictly POS machines, no extra software installed, and nothing else changed other than the POS update.

For the record, they are Apple refurbished iPad 3's if that makes any difference. The batteries are supposedly new (that's part of Apple's refurbishment.)

http://www.tokyorebel.com
0 Likes
35 0 0

To update my own thread, I realized that the POS is now never allowing my iPad's screen to shut off. I've tried all different settings; setting iPad auto-lock to 2 minutes and POS to 2 minutes, setting one to "never" and the other to 2 minutes (and vice versa), etc. but no matter what I try, the POS keeps the screens on. The screens on both iPads do shut off if the POS isn't running, so it has to be something in the POS.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
10 0 0

Hi Jeff,

I'm one of the developers for Shopify POS. We accidentally introduced a bug in version 2.0 that prevents the iPad from going to sleep while POS is on its PIN screen. We have a fix for this exact issue on the way. It's just going through some final testing before it gets submitted to the App Store.

While you are waiting for the fixed version to be released, you can do two things to help with battery life. The first is to always keep the iPad plugged in, or if that isn't practical, you can put the iPad to sleep when you aren't using POS by pressing the sleep button on the side of the iPad.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by this. I'll update this thread when the fixed version of POS has been released on the App Store.

0 Likes
Highlighted
35 0 0

Thanks - well it's good to know I'm not crazy. I think a slightly easier workaround right now is just to tell our employees to go back to the home screen after each sale (the sleep button on the iPad 3 is a little hard to press when it's in the POS stand). But I'll be eagerly awaiting the update.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
10 0 0

POS 2.0.1 has been released on the App Store and should show up as an update in a couple hours. Sorry for the inconvenience this bug caused.

0 Likes