Can Barcode Scanners Scan UPCs?

13 0 0

So Im looking to make checkout faster especially for black friday. I wanted to get a barcode scanner but it seems like you have to print the barcodes for each product in your store? We have hundreds of products, that have multiple flavors and sizes for each sku. It would seem almost crazy to print unique codes for each ski/variant we have. 

Is there anyway to just scan the UPC on the product to check it in for inventory and then scan them at checkout for customers?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
177 17 20

Hey there, @Shawn24!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! Expanding your Point of Sale retail hardware is a great way to speed things up at the checkout. I'd be happy to provide a little insight on the subject to help you decide whether this is the right solution for your business needs.

The Socket Mobile S700 or CHS 7Ci 1D barcode scanner supports UPC barcode scanning, among others. You can find all the supported 1D barcode types here. You can also check out the Socket Mobile S740 or CHS 7Qi 2D barcode scanner, which supports some 1D barcode types including UPC - that list can be viewed here.

You would be able to use the existing barcodes for your products, but you'll need to add them to the products' details pages in order for the UPC to register with that product. The quickest to add them is through a CSV file upload. You can export your existing products and simply add the UPC number in the Variant Barcode column fields before re-importing the CSV file into your Admin. Once that's been done, your products will be associated to the UPC numbers you've entered and will be ready for scanning! Does this sound like viable option for your business?

I hope this helps! If theres anything I can clarify, please let me know and I'd be happy to do so.

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
13 0 0

Nice thank you for the reply. So even though I have different variants for each product, I could just upload the different UPCs and I could use the scanner for each customer no matter the product?

Which scanner would be better for this? Also, would I be able to scan in inventory as it came in? Or would this just be for checking customers out?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
177 17 20

Hi again!

Great questions, @Shawn24! Yes, even with multiple variants for each product, you're able to associate each variant with the appropriate barcode. Here's an example of how it would look like in the Bulk Editor:

13-11-c7ksa-vnig6

As for which scanner would be better for this, it'd ultimately depend on your preference. They both support UPC the same, except the 2D also supports additional barcode scanning. You can try Googling reviews to decide which option would be most suitable for your business needs!

Our Shopify POS app isn't currently able to scan in inventory, so this process would only be taken for checking customers out. If you're interested in a solution to help you scan in inventory as well, you can check out the QuickScan app! This app offers a 14 day free trial before charging $5/month. It'll allow you to scan inventory in to the right location, however it doesn't appear to be compatible with either of Socket Mobile S700 or CHS 7Ci 1D barcode scanner or Socket Mobile S740 or CHS 7Qi 2D barcode scanner. The app requires the use of any barcode scanner that can connect with a laptop or PC through USB. If you decide to use this app, you'll need to purchase a second (and likely cheaper) barcode scanner.

I hope this helps to answer your questions! Please let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
13 0 0

So I would need an additional scanner to the shopify one? Or could I use the scanner for that app to checkout customers as well?

0 Likes
2 0 0

So can Stocky not receive items with the bluetooth scanner? In a PO or stock adjustment or stock take?

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi,

I'm starting using Retail Barcode Labels app to create my barcodes for all my products. I would like to know what kind of code 1D is generating as I've read there are many on them.

Thanks!

Cristina 

0 Likes