Competition Heating up. Better fix the basics.

Explorer
53 0 15

Just checked out Bindo, a less capitalized one year old venture but the built-in's are nice relative to Shopify but they are all things people on these forums have been calling for for over a year:

1. inventory management - Shopify does not really manage inventory because anyone with product access can amend inventory without any report detailing inventory changes not associated with sales.  In fact Shopify has no inventory reporting.  It all export into excel and its all or nothing data.  There is also no historical perpsctive.

2. Supplier order details - build in details of orders made through integration with products and then can also add cost per item and choice to allocate shipping and tax costs across products ordered.  Then once order is received and confirmed to be accurate the merchant simply confirms order was received without amendments (or makes amendments) and viola invetory increases and its tied to auditable supply purchase order within shopify.  If Bindo can do it so easily and quickly how is it that over $100m in funding and shopify is still messing around with other less utility product addons.

3. once 1&2 are implemented then margin analysis is easy to implement.  In fact, if done correctly so would be inventory valuation at any one time with choices for LIFO, FIFO, repalcement cost.  Bindo was able to integrate margin analysis yet Shopify keeps this out of its stable.

Frankly, I think Shopify is relying too much on third party apps.  There is no guarantee these apps stick around and the best apps I have found are small 1-10 man teams that can disapear quickly or be abandoned without updates to work around shopify changes.  Does Shopify really want their future dependent on third parties when it comes to basic functionality?  Maybe the current form works just fine for its inital mark but as Bindo and others are finding out, the next layer of market is materially largers and more profitable and sticky but they also need better built in basics.  Clock is ticking Shopify.

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 3

Hey Jason, 

Have you contacted Bindo? I'm wondering what the cost comparison is. 

The lame part is that I don't want to leave shopify web as it's been a great platform for us, but juggling inventory across multiple locations is insane for the reasons you noted above. 

Best, 

Walter

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
53 0 15

Walter

I am talking with them.  Will update later.  Frankly like you I do not want to be talking with any competitor as I think Shopify has the legs to be the best BUT patience is wearing thin as they launch new less utility features as opposed to fixing what is wrong with basic elements.  It concerns me greatly that someof these issues are not POS issues but basic operating matters that any billion dollar company should have addressed already.  I have been talking with two competitors about the real life issues with Shopify and I will tell you that the competition sees an opportunity that Shopify seems to be taking a rather leasurily pace at addressing if they intend to address at all.  As I have said before, I sure hope its IPO bankers are reading these forums because the risk of migration away from this platform is material if they do not address basic failings.  If I were under the tent I would be doubling down on the coding necessary to fix things I consider 101 matters.  For those of oyu know familair with US college lingo a 101 course is code for the most basic course on any topic.  Shopify should be addressing 301 issue but for some reason it has prioritized the ability to sell over your iphone as opposed to properly managing inventory, properly accounting for refunds, creating platforms of access to employee using POS, preserving inventory integrity, permiting merchants to effect a negative transaction, connect store credit to an individual, allow online sales to be returned or refunded at a POS, and the 101 list goes on.

0 Likes