Complete Draft Order on Shopify POS (missing feature?)

Excursionist
16 0 4

Hello!

We are now with Shopify and we are in the clothing industry having lots of our customers are doing pre-orders. For those, we do a "Draft Order" in the browser. This works just fine.

Then, when the customers come at our store to pick up their orders, we make them pay with the Shopify POS on the iPad, we're trying to find those "draft order" and we can't see them anywhere... Is there normal? The expected natural behavior would be to be able to complete those draft orders. What are we missing here or not seeing those draft order on the iPad?

Thank you for your help!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
437 7 90

Hey, Pete!

Aria here, one of the Social Care gurus at Shopify.

Currently, draft orders need to be completed in the admin or by your customer when you email it to them. There isn't a way to complete them in the POS app as you can only access orders that were created in the POS. You're not the first person to mention this though, I do realize how this could be beneficial.

If you'd like me to send a feature request to our developers, please provide the URL for your store and I'll be happy to do that for you. If you prefer not to publish that information on the forums, you're welcome to send the request by email instead to support@shopify.com. We are always looking for ways to improve our platform. When enough merchants make the same request, it can help to drive future change.

How is POS working for you otherwise? Do you have any other pain points?

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
16 0 4
Hello Aria,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes we would appreciate having a feature request about that, as it is really important feature.

This is because it would not be very professional having the client, just in front of me, and having to asking him he will get and email to pay on the internet, while he has his credit card in his hands.

Our store is at https://www.boutique-lollipop.com

About your other question : “How is POS working for you otherwise? Do you have any other pain points?”, we’re having another major issue with the Moneris payment terminal integration not supporting item exchanges....

As you may know in the clothing industry, there’s a lot of returns and we have to exchange items that does not fit all the time. Not being able to do that with Shopify POS and Moneris, it’s beginning to become a real show stopper.

We have contacted the support but they can’t (or won’t) provide an ETA.

So, we pray and hopping this will arrive soon.

Another real pain is not being able to assign a customer to a completed order. We do not understand this limitation as our staff sometimes being in a rush and forgets to assign a customer at first. Why can’t we be able to assign a client afterwards? It could be so much easier to follow clients orders.

We will take any help you may provide with viable workarounds. Also, we are available to beta test any new features or releases.

Many thanks.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
437 7 90

Thank you for the valuable feedback, Pete.

We have existing feature requests open for all three of those pain points. I have added your store to all of them, along with your comments.

You may find someone reaches out to you for additional feedback by email at some point and we do often ask merchants to participate in beta testing so this is a possibility.

It means a lot that you would take the time to help us see where improvements can be made on our platform.

0 Likes
Excursionist
16 0 4

Thanks Aria! 

I'm glad to see Shopify is considering all those issues as enhancement request. This is really good news! We look forward to see those enhancement soon... I know you can't commit on a release date, but can you give an approximation : is it 1 month, 3 or 6 months horizon? 

We would be also very glad to help, as we had many experience in multiple POS solutions, and this would be also beneficial for us and the everybody else. So please don't hesitate to contact me ;-) I have also a 20+ years IT background, as this might help a bit if things go technical.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
437 7 90

I wish I could give you a rough timeframe but it's not possible as there are so many factors involved:

• How long it's been since we first received this feature request from a merchant.
  • How many merchants are affected.
  • How difficult it is making their business and what workarounds are available.
  • The logistics of making it happen.
  • How many other feature requests our product team are currently working on and how long those are going to take (a beta project can take a long time to complete as kinks are ironed out).
  • How many other requests we currently have that seem more urgent as they have a bigger impact on a lot of businesses.

Realistically, it could be at least a year, possibly longer.

Our product team will certainly reach out if they are looking for beta testers and your store fits the bill.

Many of the features currently available on our platform exist due to merchants speaking to us about our frustrations so I definitely appreciate you reaching out.

0 Likes

Hey everyone,

My name is Max Sadlowski and I am the lead developer and CEO of BentoSMB Inc. We are looking to build out a Shopify POS application that solves your specific need and I would love to hear more about how we can do that. There is more information and a form to fill out if you can to give us more details about your needs. 

You can find the form here: https://forms.gle/u3p13uxK4grPB4z39

Please feel free to reach out directly as well if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Max

Max Sadlowski - CEO - BentoSMB - Shopify Expert
2 Likes
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

Just to point out, the first request for being able to pick-up an "online" order or draft order via the POS so you can complete payment as been first reported almost 3 years ago. And now, someone is asking us for feedback because they want to develop and sell us an app to do this? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 4

Hello Aria...

Thanks for your reply. I quick word to tell you that nobody from Shopify contacted us yet about this feature.

Also, I'm a little surprised to learn this kind of feature would take a year (or more) to implemented. Isn't it enough by just reading those threads about this missing features to prioritize that is most needed by your actual clients? We still don't understand why no more priority is not given for that. What can we do to make things happens sooner?

Many thanks again for any help you can give.

Pete

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
437 7 90

Hey, Pete!

Our product team don't always reach out to people who have made feature requests. When they do, it's because they need more information from you or possibly if they're looking for Beta testers.

I do understand your frustration with my estimated timeframe. Since there are a wide variety of businesses on our platform with varying needs, we have a high volume of feature requests in our database. Some of them are affecting a few merchants and some are affecting over 1000 merchants. Everyone who submits a request to us considers it to be essential for their business so they are all important. We have a team who work full-time filtering through these requests to establish how many merchants are affected by each one, which workarounds are available and when it can be fit into the Product teams full schedule. They are working on lots of projects as we speak and it can take months or more to build tools effectively for our platform.

To give you a better idea, this blog post has details on products and features we launched in 2018 alone. Our annual Unite conference is coming up on June 18–20 so we'll have lots more announcements at that point to let everyone know what is coming over the next year. I've worked for Shopify for just over 3 years and I'm constantly amazed at the features we have that didn't exist when I first joined. Everything takes time though.

0 Likes