Constant Credit Card Declines

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Is anyone else having this problem?? It seems like at least 25% of all our transactions get declined (from people I know have the money). If anyone is even remotely from out of town/state/country, it's pretty much guaranteed to decline them. Is there anything we can do to stop this from happening? It's embarassing on our end and we're losing numerous sales.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
65 0 13

Hi Anessa,

We would expect all domestic cards that we support (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex) to always process correctly unless there is something wrong with the card. We can support most foreign issued credit cards from the same brands, and if you do encounter a problem with these while swiping, manual entry of the credit card through Shopify POS can sometimes be a way to get around this.

In either case, 25% is way too high and this is something I would like to investigate further. Are there certain types of cards (credit, debit, prepaid) and brands (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex) resulting in a higher number of declines?

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

Thanks for the reply, David. It doesn't seem to be any particular brand of card. It raises a fraud alert flag on roughly 25% of all people that are from out of town or country (which is a large percentage where our store is) and declines their card. Often times the customer can hand us 1-2 other cards to try and those will get declined as well. It is NOT a lack of funds on the customer's part. They often get immediate calls/emails/texts from their bank or they have to call their bank to get the fraud alert removed. 

We're using a 1st or 2nd gen iPad but it still seems a bit ridiculous how long it takes for transactions to go through, whether we're using wifi or the Verizon 3G (full signal strength on both). We tend to use the 3G because the wifi tends to take so long that it times out. I go to coffee shops, etc that use other systems and the CC approval is practically instantaneous and I'm sure some of them are using older iPads as well.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
65 0 13

Thanks Anessa for your detailed response - very helpful! I've highlighted your comments to the dev team and we will be discussing these items further. I'll update this thread with any updates as they become available.

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 3

I have had this issue - I reported it to shopify who said that everything was working fine.  I am having cards declined from anywhere other than Canada.  This weekend I had a visa debit card of an american and swiping failed - yet I was able to manually enter the card details (at a higher payment rate mind you) and it worked.  I reported this exact same issue to shopify a month ago and was told - there is nothing wrong.

I have spoken to customers in Austrailia who have been declined - they contacted their bank, and their bank said that their fraud department had flagged "all transactions from this payment processor".

My overall rate of declines is not 25% as you are seeing, however I would say that my FOREIGN transactions are seeing decline rates of about 25%.  but Shopify tells me everything is fine. 

It is very clear that everything is not fine if I can manually enter a foreign card 30 seconds after that same card is declined following a swipe.

If Shopify decides to take this issue seriously (because my business is suffering as a result of things working "normally" according to shopify) you can look at order #11-1110 processed on April 18th to see the exact scienero described above play out.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
65 0 13

Hi Ian, Thanks for the additional information including the reference order number. We're looking into a few things on our side and will add any updates to this thread as we learn more.

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 3

I have just had this same problem again.  As seen in https://highland-style.myshopify.com/admin/checkouts/850388611

The customer tells me that she spent about 30 minutes on the phone with chase over the course of the morning to have the charge authorized.  She is in the US we are in Canada she was told by Chase that the transactions from this payment processor are flagged as fraudulent.  I believe her hald hour timeline as I see the 3 payment attempts in this abandoned checkout and then the final authorized payment on the same card over half an hour later in a confirmed order.

This needs to be addressed.

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 3

I have sent the following e-mail to shopify - to say I'm annoyed is an understatement.

I have contacted shopify payments about this very issue via chat without a successful resolution - I was told that there were no problems even though the customers bank told her that all transactions from this payment processor have beeen flagged as fraudulent.  I then found a similar complaint in the forums and I provided my experience and "Shopify David" said they were looking into a few things on their side and would provide updates.  I just experienced the same problem again which nearly cost me a significantly sized order - and annoyed the customer based on her e-mail to me that she spent over 30 minutes trying to pay.

#11-1110 is the order to which I first used as a reference for shopify - you can see the process of declines and then eventual processing of the payment when I did so manually.  Her bank was told that Shopify Payments are fraudulent - card info was sent to shopify and I was told - everything was fine.

Today Abandoned checkout #850388611 see's 3 failed processing attempts.  After contacting her credit card the customer was told that all payments from this processor are flagged as fraudulent.  She tells me that it took 30 minutes and multiple phone calls before the bank authorized the transaction.  This can be seen by the times on the abandoned checkout attempts - and the final payment (ON THE SAME CARD) that was finally authorized over 30 minutes later as order #1498.

I went with Shopify based on your assertion that it is a trusted and reliable payment processor that is accepted and meets the security standards set out by the card companies.  In my experience this is proving to not be true - and yet with direct concrete evidence given with solid order numbers where you can see the multiple declines and then eventual authorizations of the same card - if is annoying to say the least that i was told that everything is fine.  Can you please investigate this as it is having a negative impact on my business.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
65 0 13

Hi Ian, Your comments haven't gone unnoticed. When we previously investigated your store, we didn't see abrnomal decline rates or an obvious reason for declines. We are currently digging into the latests orders that you've had problems with and will get back to you. Going forward, we will begin flagging stores with higher than normal decline rates so that we can proactively investigate potential issues. Only good things coming - your patience is appreciated.

0 Likes
4 0 0

I am experiencing a similar issue. David, has this been resolved?

0 Likes