Constant Credit Card Declines

Excursionist
21 0 4

This has not been resolved - I e-mailed the details requested and never heard back.  What is sad is that my customers are getting declined when they try to purchase themselves.... they call me, I apologize, I take their credit card info over the phone, I go into my admin, I create a draft order, I enter the credit card info.... and it gets approved.  There is very clearly a problem.

Shopify can review my store

Abandoned checkout #2139135683 you will see 3 declines....

A few hours later look at order #1756.... same credit card... ironically a higher amount as I was able to boost the sale amount after i spoke to her on the phone... approved.

Why?  Why is Shopify being flagged by credit card companies for online purchases, yet I am able to manually complete the purchase either through my iphone app, or through the draft feature?

There you go Shopify... anther abandoned checkout with corresponding order, same credit card number, same day... abandoned order declined 3 times, manual order approved.  use that as your test case (I've sent you numerous other examples of this exact same nature) and still no resolution?  instead I have changed my DECLINED message to read... Opps - looks like a technical glitch, please send me an e-mail.....  not professional and not secure.

1 Like
1 0 0

It appears I'm having a similar issue.  2-3 attempts not going through.  A little annoyed as we had hoped that our website would be another channel of selling outside of our Brick and Mortar in addition to saving money from not incurring eBay and Amazon fees.

Any idea when we might have an answer for why Shopify is being declined by CC companies?

0 Likes
Excursionist
21 0 4

I have tried to get answers - I have gotten an e-mail once looking like someone was getting into the problem, I responded with the info they requested.... and I have not heard anything for months. 

0 Likes
15 0 0

Yes I had the same problem a few months ago, not as bad anymore.

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

I am a customer who will not buy from a merchant using Shopify. Constantly flagged as fraudulent. Shopify gives me the cold shoulder when I try to deal with them directly.

They want me to go through the merchant but that is ridiculous when the problem is between their "service" and me. 

Merchants: if you want my business, ditch Shopify. 

0 Likes
1 0 2

Yikes! This just happened to me on my first order with a BIG client. I had to use my Square reader as a back up and guess what...the card went through with the Square reader! This means it had to have been a Shopify issue...

2 Likes
1 0 1

This is happening to us quite a bit also. We are having to use square as a backup to run cards. This is very embarrassing when we have customers wanting to spend money with us and thier cards are declined. My suggestions is keep a square backup until they fix the issue.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

This is currently unfolding for my website right now and its my very FIRST sale on the site!! Can we please get this issue resolved soon? I can't afford to have cards declined right now as new business owner. This customer is in Australia and I'm hoping she'll be patient enough to let me send her a square invoice. Shopify-you need to get it together or else we are going to leave and go to square!!

0 Likes
2 0 0

We just signed up for Shopify POS and we are having several cards a day declined. It is embarresing on our end when we know the customer has a credit card that is valid. And then we have to pay the higher percent to hand type in the card #.

We also have to have a backup source for runinnig cards ready at all times. Payal or Square. 

I wish this could get resolved. We will be anxiously waiting to hear what Shopify does to resolve this.

-Holly

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
17 0 1

Hi Holly, 

This is Brenda from the Shopify Support team.

There can be a couple of reasons why a credit card transaction could fail when using the Shopify POS. Some possibilities include payment with an unsupported card type or damaged card, a weak or intermittent WIFI connection, and POS software that isn't up to date.

In case you haven't had a chance to check it out yet, this Tap, Chip and Swipe card reader guide may come in handy: https://help.shopify.com/manual/sell-in-person/hardware/card-readers/tap-chip-swipe#troubleshooting

If you continue to have issues with failed payments when with the Shopify POS, would you mind getting in touch by email, chat or phone whenever it's convenient for you so we can dig into this?

We definitely want to help get to the bottom of this with you! 

Thanks, Holly!

Have a great day, 
Brenda 

0 Likes