Constant Credit Card Declines

2 0 0

Hi Brenda, thanks for the quick response!

We currenlty own the Tap/Chip/Swipe that is pictured in your link. This is the one we are having problmes with. We have talked to a few boutiques near us that say they have the same problem with their Shopify Tap/Chip/Swipe reader. I defienitly think its an issue on Shoify's end. We have been accepting credit cards for over 10 years now at our retail shop and just switched to Shopify POS  - we have never had this problme in the past.

We just hope its resolved soon.

Thanks- Holly

0 Likes
5 0 0

Hi there,

We are currently having issues using our shopify reader despite it having worked in the past.  The volume is on high and all permissions are granted. 

Is there something that could be wrong with the reader?  Or our site?  We're having to put everything in manually or take cash and it's affecting our in-store business.

Thanks- Harmony

0 Likes
3 0 0

I am still having the same issue with credit card payements. Without supporting paypal, there's no way to get over it.

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 4

You know, we've also had fairly high rates of declines. We found it to be fixed by clearing the logs on the POS - somehow the logs were around 4GB.

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hello,

There's any solution for this problem? It's far from frustating. In my case, I am a customer, don't have anything to do with shopify except sending my payment for shipping costs for some goods I purchased (preordered- months ago). My card is constantly declined by shopify. I have the funds, I have no retentions, I have international payments enabled, the limit of my card is not reached by the amount I'm trying to send. The bank says that shopify simply declines my card, the shop who operates with shopify says that the problem is on my side... and my goods are struck for more than a month with no solution. 

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 1

Hey everyone,

We discovered that ALL Costco Visa credit cards are receiving the POS Shopify declines when inserting the CHIP. This literally happens every time a Costco card checksout with CHIP unless we do our workaround (see below).

If you accept this Costco credit card (here is a picture: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=Citi-costco-anywhere-visa-credi...), just TAP the card to your reader and it will process. All of the cards have a TAP chip inside. We had to train all of our employees to look for these cards as Shopify does not process them normally. Another alternative is to enter the card number manually, however we opt not to do that due to the higher processing rate / additional time.

Unfortunately Shopify Support said there wasn't anything they could do since it was a "problem with Visa Quick Chip". The Costco card is one of the more popular cards out there, and if every other retailer can accept them normally Shopify should be able to as well.

While was talking to another nearby business owner someone checked out with this Costco credit card using Square POS-- and the transaction went through without any issues! Seems like Square was able to figure out how to accept it, and we hope Shopify can too.

I eventually gave up on my trying to get them to fix this as I am very tired of Shopify giving the run-around on POS bugs that are submitted. I still have an outstanding case for the last 3 months that was caused by an update and causes customer frustration daily. Priority keeps getting "escalated" but nothing to show. I know they are trying to focus on future growth, but they need to fix issues for there current merchants instead of leaving them in the dust.

Sorry for the rant at the end. I really do love Shopify, but the lack of support on issues to  our business leaves a lot to be desired. Hope this was helpful to addressing some of your declines.

John

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 13

Hi John,

Sorry to hear this, I'm working to figure out why we might be declining these types of Visa credit cards.

Can you provide a bit more detail related to the decline message you're seeing? Send me an email: david.seal [AT] shopify.com

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 1

We just had a customer come in with the Costco card on my shift, so I caused the denial (by using the chip) and sent the information to your email.

Thanks,
John

0 Likes
1 0 1

We are seeing the same issue. Has there been a fix implemented yet?

Thanks.

Mike

1 Like
2 0 3

I'm constantly having this problem as well. I purchase the new Swipe/Chip/Tap reader and a number of the chip cards are declined. I can enter the card manually, and it accepts it fine. It seems like a problem with the hardware for me. It's REALLY inconvenient as I"m at a show and having a lot of cards declined is really a pain.

0 Likes