Design Flaw in Dock for Tap/Chip reader? Can't wake up reader!

4 0 0

Hi Shopify Community!

I finally received the complete Shopify POS retail system recently and can't seem to figure out a major issue. My tap/chip reader goes into a dock (https://hardware.shopify.com/products/shopify-dock-for-tap-chip-reader) which is drilled and screwed into my marble counter top (I actually have 2 complete stations built into an 8 foot marble top). However, when you come into the store first thing in the morning or there is a lull during the day and a customer comes to check out, the card reader is asleep! Online help says you must "wake" the reader by pressing on the blue button, however, being built into the dock I have no access to the blue button. The only way is to dismantle the thing (there's a plastic insert on top, then take out the reader) to get to the blue button. Especially hassle-some because the reader is facing outwards towards the customer.

Are there any other ways to keep the reader from going to "sleep"? Or is it a connection/software error? Both of my systems do the exact same thing where when checking out either first customer of the day, or after a period time, the reader is just not connected to the Ipad and there is no blue blinking light as well. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Especially any help with not needing to dismantle the dock in front of the customer would be best!

-Chloe

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
67 2 7

We purchased this same setup for testing Shopify POS. And have found with a lot of these newer tablet-based POS systems the Bluetooth peripherals can go to sleep and lose connectivity. Receipt printers, barcode scanners, payment terminals, etc. Too bad the dock wasn't designed to at least expose the blue button on these!

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi Greg,

Yes!! Totally agree!! Recently for a period of time our mPop star machine was losing connection as well with it's receipt printer and we couldn't print any out for customers without going through a whole connect/reconnect deal. Although we are all part of the first group to get the complete Shopify POS system really hope they can help us out because we are the ones on the front lines! 

Cheers,

Chloe

0 Likes