Draft an Order on Computer - Complete the Sale on POS?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 4

We often take orders in our store for items that must be shipped - sometimes to an address that is different from the customer's default address. It's tedious to enter the information on our POS iPad. Is it somehow possible to draft an order on a computer and then pull it up on the POS system to accept credit card payment?

I can see how to make draft orders, but is there any way to then access those orders in the POS system to accept payment?

2 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
426 6 75

Hey!

I'm Aria, a Social Care guru at Shopify.

When you create a draft order, it is emailed to the customer for payment. We don't have a way to link it to POS for payment. If you have an external card reader, you could just mark the draft order as paid but if you're using Shopify Payments, you would need to create the order on POS.

If you can explain further why you're finding it difficult to create the orders on POS, I can send a feature request for you. You only need to enter one address for each order, you don't need a billing address like you do for online sales. If the customer has ordered from you before, you can just search for them and select them from the list so you don't need to enter the address at all. Does that help at all?

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 4

Thanks for your reply Aria. The challenge for entering the information on the POS is that we are typing everything on an iPad at our counter. Entry on the iPad software keyboard is a slow affair at best, and it's especially frustrating if we have a line of customers waiting to purchase. We're going to add a bluetooth keyboard and see if that helps, but it would still be easier for my staff to enter the info on their computers which site on the desk behind the counter.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
426 6 75

Hey!

Aria again.

Thank you for clarifying. That makes a lot of sense. If you can let me know the URL for your store, I will send the feedback for you.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 4

art.xanadugallery.com

We've added a bluetooth keyboard, and that has helped some, but I still believe it would be easier if an order could be drafted on a computer and then have the draft show up on the point of sale to complete the payment.

2 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
426 6 75

Thank you for your reply! I'm glad the keyboard helped a bit but I will let our developers know of the difficulty you're experiencing. I can see you're not the first merchant to contact us about this.

Aria

1 Like
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 0 54

+1 for this requested capability.

We create Draft Orders all the time as 'special request' orders, and then the customer pays when they come into the physical store to pick it up. The ability to pull up a Draft Order on the POS app (iPad) would be incredible. Right now, we either have to re-create the Draft order by entering the items into the cart on the POS, and delete the Draft after the purchase (and thus lose all the notes and comments on the Draft), or we have to hand-type in a credit card on Draft Order on the Admin panel (which is riskier, slower and costs more in transaction costs.) 

Yes, customer can pay online for their Draft Order invoice, but most want to wait to see it before they pick it up, and they often add to the order once in store. 

What is the technical limitation preventing Draft Orders from being visible on the POS?

4 Likes
Tourist
6 0 0

+1 for this feature request. Our sales force creates draft orders all the time, and it would be INCREDIBLY useful to be able to accept credit card readers on the spot to mark those draft orders as completed. The Shopify POS functionality is not usable for us until it works with Shopify draft orders.

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 for this requested capability.

We create Draft Orders all the time as 'special request' orders, and then the customer pays when they come into the physical store to pick it up. The ability to pull up a Draft Order on the POS app (iPad) would be incredible. Right now, we either have to re-create the Draft order by entering the items into the cart on the POS, and delete the Draft after the purchase (and thus lose all the notes and comments on the Draft), or we have to hand-type in a credit card on Draft Order on the Admin panel (which is riskier, slower and costs more in transaction costs.) 

Yes, customer can pay online for their Draft Order invoice, but most want to wait to see it before they pick it up, and they often add to the order once in store. 

What is the technical limitation preventing Draft Orders from being visible on the POS?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
426 6 75

Thank you for the valuable input.

If you'd like me to add you to the feature request, please provide your store URL. If you're not comfortable doing that publicly on forums, you're welcome to email us at support@shopify.com. You can link to the forums post for context.

I'll be happy to add you to the existing request to help our developers to see the demand for this feature.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 0

Thanks Aria - please add our store to the requestor list: nyc-tour.myshopify.com

0 Likes