Entering orders on a desktop

Tourist
6 0 4

Why is there not a way to enter an order from the admin of a shopify website?  Does shopify have some kind of contract with mac?  No android? No PC? No laptops? We must only use an ipad? Why?

We take orders over the phone on a regular basis.  This happens at many different work stations.  So we have to use an ipad even when we are already on a computer.  Seems like a pretty simple feature to integrate with the online admin and open your market to users who do not like or do not use ipads.

The POS that you offer is nice.  It works well but is only works on an ipad.  This is great for certain things but it is limiting.  We switched over to shopify payments and now we cannot manually charge customers credit cards unless we use an ipad.  Think about it, you are marketing your merchant services but people don't have the simple function of being able to charge a credit card on their computer for a phone-in order if they use this service.  This function is available from most any merchant services company.  Is there any reason not to add this function?  Are there any disadvantages that I am missing?

2 Likes
2 0 0

I agree 100%.  Our business is multi-faceted, and must use PCs for many of our functions, which means that everyone has one at their station.  We don't have much need for everyone to have an iPad, other than if we want to process a sale.  For some people we can just visit our own Shopify store as if we were a customer making the purchase from home, but that doesn't work if they wish to use cash or split a payment between cash and credit card.  This seems odd to me that we can only process a sale on an iPad.  Any chance this will be changing?

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 4

Just an FYI - I received a response from Shopify CS about this via email.  Not really a solution but a response non the less...

I can definitely understand how moving to our POS for IPad wouldn't offer the same convenience as you had prior with your desktop being that you were able to just copy/paste all the info.
It's a really tough situation for us here at Shopify since we 100% understand this need and being that we pride ourselves on being able to offer the most efficient and simple software on the market, we realize that certain aspects of our POS and dashboard don't quite fit this model at this time.

I say 'at this time' since it's definitely on our radar to improve the ability to allow for orders to be directly input into the admin. We recognize that this is an important feature for companies like yourself who primarily take orders over the phone so we want to be sure that when we offer this solution, it is done with the highest level of security possible since being able to take credit cards over the phone along with storing them brings the challenge of doing so while also maintaining the security of our merchants and their customers.

I know that isn't exactly the best news but I hope it can at least help explain the reason why we don't currently offer it as this time.

I would like to think the admin portion of the website could / should be equally as secure as the actual website.  I am no programmer but it seems to me that if people can securely enter information on our website through an internet browser we should be able to securely enter the same type of information into our website admin through an internet browser.

I am a fan of the Shopify platform, but this is the only missing piece for us.

0 Likes
2 0 0

I agree that admin should be just as secure.  I'd guess that Shopify has some sort of deal in place with Apple where they are either getting payments for referring people to their POS on iOS, or they are getting a discount on their own equipment for doing it.  Business decision for them, but it really limits what their own customers are able to do with the services that we pay for.

0 Likes
Explorer
53 0 15

Totally agree.  And believe it or not the Online sales and POS are treated like aliens creature to each other.  An online order cannot be refunded on a POS.  So when your real life customer comes to your store you cannot service them if orginal transaction was online.  AND if an online order wants a refund did you know that shopify goesback in time to change original order as opposed to effecting a negative transaction at the time?  It is major issue is you pay taxes regularly or have christmas purchase returns in January.  Who programs this way?  Again, I hope their bankers are reading these forums because if your issue cannot be fixed then this business is not worth any where near $1bn as a competitor can easily read these forums to figure out what to address and steal customers.  There is opportunity for this business to be VERY VERY sticky but one must address the basic promptly.  Instead they focused on luanching a half baked iphone POS app.  

0 Likes
1 0 0

The admin is secure, but part of the process of entering a card online is the system captures the originating ip address. With phone orders, that information is not available. Also shopify has no way to verify or control what happens to the card info collected by the business. This uncertainty affects pci compliance.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 4

I see what you are saying, but we can already enter phone-in orders manually through the Shopify POS as long as we use the ipad.  This ends up increasing the rate that we are charged for those transactions because of the reasons that you mentioned, but it is still pci compliant.  I am suggesting making the same function that is already offered on an ipad available on a desktop.  This would not threaten security any more than manually entering the info on an ipad or a customer manually entering information while checking out.

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 1

It is ridiculous that they can't figure this out. We had BigCommerce and they offered the ability to enter credit cards manually via the admin panel as far back as 2010. If they call you and give you the card number for one system why is it different for another. We typically enter them from our site just as if we were the customer, but even there it does not recognize a return customer and pre-fill the info. This should be a number one priority for them. We certainly would not write down the card numbers and store them anywhere and again, if someone were going to do that, what does it matter where they are inputing the order. I agree that I am a fan of Shopify but this is a huge shortfall.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
290 0 162

Hey all!

As of yesterday, there is a function that lets you add an Order from the Admin. This is most easily done through the website rather than through the POS app, which does not currently have that feature.

Take a read through our documents about it here:

https://docs.shopify.com/manual/your-store/orders/create-orders

1 Like
Tourist
6 0 4

This is absolutely awesome news!  +1 Shopify!!!

-Happy Customer

0 Likes