Handling occasional in person sales

10 0 0

Hi,

I'm new to Shopify.  While we are set up to sell nearly exclusively online, we do occasionally have on-hand inventory to sell in person.  We'd like to track these sales through Shopify and use the POS to process these sales.  Because we are using a dropship model, we don't normally have inventory.  I'm now just trying to figure out how would I handle tracking these  on-hand items in inventory and track the sales of these items?

Thanks in advance!

Sharon

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
257 25 53

Hi, Sharon!

Julie here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out to the Shopify Community.

Selling in-person is a great idea and an excellent way to branch out your business. To take advantage of Shopify's retail features (including register shifts and POS hardware like barcode scanners and receipt printers), you do need to be on the Shopify plan or higher. However, the Basic plan will allow for occasional in-person sales using the Shopify POS app on your mobile device. This is ideal for selling at events like markets, pop-ups, and trade shows. You can check out a breakdown of the Shopify Basic POS features here

Once you've installed the Shopify POS app on your mobile device, you can create and process in-person transactions. Will you also be selling this on-hand inventory online? If not, that's no problem at all. When processing a transaction with the POS app, you will have the ability to create a Quick sale, where you can enter in a custom product title and price. Creating a quick sale is ideal for merchants who do not have these products listed in their online store and are needing to add them on an as-needed basis.

Aside from a Quick sale, you can also create a new product in the POS appThese products won't appear on your other sales channels, and will only be available for in-person transactions. When you add a product this way, you'll also be able to specify the quantity that you have in-stock, preventing you from overselling. This method comes in handy if you have multiples of the same product.

Where are you located? If you are in either the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, or Ireland, then you can take advantage of one of Shopify's card readers. Even better, if you are located in the United States, you may even be eligible for a free card reader. Once you have a card reader, you can accept in-person credit card transactions from customers. If you aren't located in a supported region, that's totally okay. You can still use the POS app to create and track your sales, but you will need to use an external credit card reader from a third-party payment processor if you wish to accept in-person credit card payments. 

Once you've processed an in-person transaction using the Shopify POS, you'll be able to see these orders listed in both the POS app and your Shopify Admin, allowing you to track all of your orders in a single place. These sales will also be recorded in your Finance reports, which you can access in the Analytics section of your Admin.

We also have a free webinar, "Introduction to Shopify POS". This webinar is a great way to get a visual overview of how the POS works and I think you'll find it pretty useful. Feel free to reserve a seat here. Will you be selling these products at pop-up shops? If so, we have a great blog post, "Pop-Up Shops 101: Everything You Need to Know to Try Temporary RetailI recommend checking out. It includes some great tips on how to set up and open a successful pop-up. 

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction, and I'd love to hear more about your business. What kind of products are you dropshipping? What kind of products are you going to be selling in-person? 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes