Help on POS/Android Set-up

Highlighted
1 0 0

I sell at pop-up shops and tradeshows and have two Shopify Chip & Swipe readers and two Android tablets that I was hoping to use with the card readers. However, the POS app is not compatible with my device. 

1. Can you install the Shopify POS app on an android tablet or only an android phone?

2. I only plan on using the card readers as hardware, does that mean no matter what i need to go to IOS?

If "yes", Paying for two dedicated ipads makes this a more expensive solution than i was hoping for. 

3. Is there a better alternate option? Square? Alternate POS? Anything that integrates with my Shopify account?

Thank you

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
335 31 70

Hi, @caseydubbs!

May here from Shopify. Welcome to our Shopify Community!

To clarify, what device are you using? Please make sure that you are on the latest Android version on your device, and that you install the latest version of the POS app as well. To answer your questions,

1. Yes, you can install the Shopify POS app on an Android tablet. As previously mentioned, I recommend that you are on the latest Android version long and the latest POS app version.

2. If you are using Shopify Payments in United States, you can use our chip & swipe reader with an Android device. If you are using Shopify Payments in Canada, our swipe (audio jack) card reader is compatible with Android. Before ordering one, I recommend checking the app and device requirements listed on its respective pages.

3. If you are using a third party payment gateway, or if you choose not to use our hardwares, you can use an external card reader. For more information about card readers, I recommend checking out our document here for more info.

Let me know if this helps! If you have any other questions about POS, feel free to post a reply here or contact our 24/7 support and we'll happily help!

Cheers!

May | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like