How do I / Ideas for improvements...

Excursionist
36 0 14

Hi, we've started using POS app in store this week and just have a few questions to see how people handle some functions & ideas for improvements. We are primarily a bricks and mortar store so the POS is used greatly, with the website being worked on!

1. It would be great to be able to search a product by barcode, or show the stock level again the cart item.

2. How do you handle refunds when an Item was purchased pre-Shopify POS? we had an item returned yesterday from last week when we used our old POS system, we couldn't find a way to refund / exchange this item as we couldn't enter a minus value into the cart. 

3. On the subject of refunds, store credits really need to print a credit note with a barcode on to enabled the lookup of the credit note (looking through 40+ transactions per day is going to take too long) also the store credit need to be marked as 'redeemed' when they are for security.

4. On the Shopify website side of things it would be great to have a 'Delivery Mode' where by we just scan the barcode of the item in, it prompts for the number being added to stock, you hit enter, and move on to the next item. I know you can do it through Manage Inventory, but it's not very slick for large deliveries where we may have up to 300-500 items.

5. Is there an option to open the cash drawer when we process an external credit card payment? Because we use external payment terminal we put our copy of the receipt in the drawer.

6. Dare I mention the need for gift cards?!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
235 0 27

Hi Michael,

1. It would be great to be able to search a product by barcode, or show the stock level again the cart item.

Do you mean 1) scan a barcode 2) have the product added to cart? If so, we do support that. Also, you can check an items inventory by tap+holding the product in the product grid. We are working on ways to make this more obvious.

2. How do you handle refunds when an Item was purchased pre-Shopify POS? we had an item returned yesterday from last week when we used our old POS system, we couldn't find a way to refund / exchange this item as we couldn't enter a minus value into the cart. 

Right now we don't have a great way of handling this. Best thing to do is go into the web admin, subtract the inventory, and make a note. We are looking into ways to make this a simpler process.

3. On the subject of refunds, store credits really need to print a credit note with a barcode on to enabled the lookup of the credit note (looking through 40+ transactions per day is going to take too long) also the store credit need to be marked as 'redeemed' when they are for security.

As I'm sure your can tell, our store credit implementation is much simpler than that. We just label the payment as store credit. A lot of merchants will circle the receipt and sign it to make the store credit "official" and X it out once it's been used. I like the barcode feature you bring up. How would you envision this? A barcode on every receipt you print? Then you just scan the barcode, and the order comes up? Right now all receipts have order numbers that you can search which should be pretty quick as well (this would save you form looking through transactions).

4. On the Shopify website side of things it would be great to have a 'Delivery Mode' where by we just scan the barcode of the item in, it prompts for the number being added to stock, you hit enter, and move on to the next item. I know you can do it through Manage Inventory, but it's not very slick for large deliveries where we may have up to 300-500 items.

Thanks, we are considering this feature. How do you picture this working? Would the inventory only populate if the barcode already exists in Shopify? If it was a completely new barcode, would you be prompted to enter the details of the product?

5. Is there an option to open the cash drawer when we process an external credit card payment? Because we use external payment terminal we put our copy of the receipt in the drawer.

There is not right now unfortunately. If you hit the "NO SALE" button on the home product screen the cash will pop open, does that help?

6. Dare I mention the need for gift cards?!

Soon ;)

0 Likes
Excursionist
36 0 14

Hi Andrew,

For searching by barcode I mean that when you are in the product view, and perform a search you can do a text search if you know what the product is called, or by SKU if known. We find it much easier just to scan the barcode and the product be found. We have many similar product SKU's & names so barcode is the best way of ensuring we get the right item.

For the refunds, on our previous POS system every receipt had a barcode so that we could recall it easily. Also then if we refunded this as a store credit a new receipt would be printed, again with a barcode so when the customer came to redeem this we would check out as normal, but then have the option of 'Store Credit' as a payment type, and then scan the barcode on the receipt to bring up the value it is for, and then this store credit is marked as redeemed by the system and can not be used again - no paper work required to keep track of store credits!

For the 'Delivery Mode' this would only be used for existing items, just to update inventory levels quickly and efficiently. New products we would add as we currently do.

For the No Sale we are using this, but it would just be nice to have this as an option to open the drawer.

0 Likes