How to match Shopify POS order numbers with Shopify?

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0
Were they able to get them to all match?
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
156 2 66

Hi There, no unfortunately.

The POS numbers started off identical to the online order numbes but at some point the POS receipts changed to a completely different numbering system - never figured out why.

You can search the POS number in Shopify but at a glance, it's just another layer of unwanted/unneeded complexity.

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 0
To make sure I understand (as I'm considering starting to use this system to ring people up)....is it that when they bring the reciept back, you can use the reciept number to pull the order back up in POS, but if you need to pull it up in the ecom admin panel then the numbers are different. But in either place, if you do a search for the printed number it will pull it up, correct?

On a completely unrelated topic...since you also have a store, I'd be very interested to know your feelings on the hardware (scanners, printer, card reader). Are they a constant source of pain? I have some employees that sometimes work alone and have zero tech skills. I'm a bit nervous about how flakey some people say the hardware is.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
156 2 66

But in either place, if you do a search for the printed number it will pull it up, correct?

Yes, that's correct.

I have some employees that sometimes work alone and have zero tech skills. I'm a bit nervous about how flakey some people say the hardware is.

We've had zero issues with our hardware but experienced a 6–8 week issue between iOS and the Shopify app where the app couldn't print (it could see the printer though). Through trial and error, we found that deleting/reinstalling the app and relaunching the store every day (in the app) mostly worked but if you have non-tech staff, that ain't going to fly. We pay for a separate Eftpos terminal so had backup but if you ship items, this is painful. BTW make sure to turn off Apple's auto-update.

All hardware/software will fail, period. So what's important is how a company handles the inevitable. If you trawl the forums, you'll see a common theme, that there's no sense of urgency around things Shopify doesn't deem important. And sadly, that's been our experience as well (support staff just say there's nothing they can do).

Shopify seem to have no clue what it's like in the heat of a successful sale with impatient customers waiting - or that when stuff doesn't work, you can't take payment, so what's the point?  Based on our experience, we suspect Shopify sees their POS system as a handy, free add-on and not something to be relied upon.

In the end, you get what you pay for so if you've got non-tech staff, you should probably consider an expensive, dedicated POS sale system which integrates with Shopify and has 24/7 support - like Vend maybe?

Hope that helps.

0 Likes