How to match Shopify POS order numbers with Shopify?

Shopify Partner
150 2 49

Hi There,

Our receipt order numbers look like this #1-1191 and don't correlate with anything we can find in Shopify. How do we match receipt numbers with actual orders in Shopify?

Also, is there a way to just print the actual Shopify order number onto the receipt? It would make life 1,000 times easier for us, our customers, and our fulfilment house.

Cheers

Ben

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 18 52

Hi, Ben. 

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

The prefix of order numbers in Shopify could be adjusted to match like this (Settings > General). 

07-25-ccz9v-dn4gs
This might be a good solution if the numbers following the dash are related (ie. 1191 from your example). If this is not what you were trying to express, could you share an example of the details you're looking to tweak? 

Cheers,
Max

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
150 2 49

Thanks Max, what we'd like to do is change the POS numbers to match Shopify because we have a fulfilment house and do not want to ruin our main SHopify order numbers.

Is that possible?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 18 52

Hey, @cmscss

Could you share some more details on what these numbers look like in your admin and how you are feeding them to your fulfillment house? Some screenshots of the differences and where you're seeing them would be great.

If you're working with POS, the numbers in the Orders admin section should match. Are you fulfilling with a third party service like this?

Knowing some more about what you're trying to align with an example would be helpful!

Thanks, 
Max

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
150 2 49

Please ignore Shopify's order numbers and the fulfilment house etc, this is prefect, we do NOT want to change them.

We want to change the numbers which print on Shopify POS receipts (so there's no screen shot, it's a physical print). They look like this: #1-1911 and we'd like to to match the Shopify order number, not the other way around.

It's much simpler/less confusing if the customer is using the same number we see in Shopify. Is this possible?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
150 2 49

Shopify's order numbers look like: HOTEL4879

And the receipt numbers look like: #1-1146

How do we get Shopify POS to match Shopify?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 18 52

Hi, @cmscss 

Max, again. 

I did a test on my shop and was unable to produce the same results. Order #1001 was placed from my POS app. I then added the Prefix "EX" and placed an order from Online store EX1002, and one from POS again EX1003.  

09-52-nnmur-zabqz

Are you using the locations feature or more than one device for your POS sales? If you're looking to search between location of a sale, you can use the filter by sales channel option too.

Cheers,
Max

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
150 2 49

Thanks Max,

We've found some old receipts and the order numbers did match our online store from the start until about 4-5 months in: HOTEL1896 etc. But at some point, the POS numbers switched to a completely different style: #1-2345 etc

What would cause such a change? We definitely didn't enter any kind of custom number into POS, we just noticed that the numbers no longer matched.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 18 52

Hi, again! 

Have you made any changes to your shop, like using the Locations feature or creating more locations where you use the Shopify POS?

If not, we might need to take a closer look at your shop over email. If you send an email to our support team we can take a closer look at your shop and try to pinpoint what might've happened. Be sure to use an email address associated with this shop. Please feel free to link this forums post in your message so, there's less need to reiterate!

If you do send an email, please share the ticket number here, I'll keep an eye out for it!

Best, 
Max

0 Likes
1 0 0

My online store uses order numbers that start with # (set in general > Standards and formats > prefix).  A new online order is correctly being assigned new order number #1234.

I recently added a new location and we are using POS at this location for sales transactions.

When I print a receipt from the POS sale, the receipt number is in the format #3-1008.

When I look in shopify admin > orders, the sale is recorded correctly as order number #1235.

Specific example:

I have a printed POS receipt in my hand with receipt number #3-1008.  Shopify admin > orders has no reference for "Receipt number #3-1008".  If I look in order #1208 (matching 8 at the end) I see the order that matches #3-1008.  How do I get the receipt number to print the correct shopify order number #1208 on the receipt?

Here is a screen grab of the problem...

1. Customer comes into the store with a return.... The receipt shows #3-1008.

2. I open POS and go to "Orders" and this is what I see....  How do I know whaich of these orders matches receipt #3-1008?

Order.jpg

3. Inside the order, I have both numbers.... but when I'm looking at only the paper receipt, I have no way to find the matching order inside POS orders, because the receipt number doesn't match the order number.

How do I fix this?

Receipt.jpg

Thanks.

0 Likes