I felt cheated by signing up for shopify POS for IPAD.

Tourist
3 0 2

I was so excited and signed up without research, and bought the full hardware bundle as wells as the extra printers for barcode and scanner as well.

I am a brick and mortar retail establishment. My need was a good POS. Now as I work on this POS, I learnt the following shortcomings or drawbacks which are a huge setback to my operations:

1. The POS app on IPAD can not add products.

2. The POS can not add products by scanning bar codes.

3. The POS has no way of recording your cost of good and tracking profits or margins, wonder why is this called a POS?

4. For every value add which you think should be a POS feature, its a separate APP, which increases your total monthly price making it an expensive POS solution, which I dont mind, but come-on shopify, at least give some basic features.

5. There is no provision to add products while on the POS on the go. Many existing stores would like to add products as they ring up for sale and not wait to upload products online and then be able to sell them on POS.

6. POS app on IPAD can not work with other payment swipe readers like Intuit GoPayment.

7. The bar code label printing is ridiculously cumbersome.

Shopify, you have done a good job in bridging POS retail with online, if you can please focus on improving your POS and get it to really act and work like a POS.

Thank you and waiting for some good news...

Rachna

0 Likes
1 0 0

We are giving the 15 day trial a go and I am getting the same feeling you have.  There are some features of this software that are amazing, but I do not think it is suited for brick and mortar store.  It would be awesome for a small start up company looking to get a turn key register and online selling tool.

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 9

Pretty much spot on. And you didn't even mention the reports, which are generally useless and often flat wrong. Or returns, which are just insane. Or customer records... Every day it becomes more and more obvious that the Shopify folks have no real grasp of brick and mortar sales. But I'm in the same boat as you, so deeply invested in money AND time that I'm hoping somehow they get it turned around. 

3 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

Shopify, development or technical gurus, we would love to hear from you. What's your roadmap? When can we expect some of these features in your POS so that it can truly run a brick and mortar store. A reply is highly desired and will put our and your energies in the right direction.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
65 0 13

Hi Everyone,

We have many existing Shopify POS merchants that run established medium and larger sized physical retail stores. We’ve received really great feedback from our current customers, but are always open to and looking for further feedback on our product. This helps us to continue to build features that help make Shopify POS great.

Adding products

Shopify POS is currently optimized for quickly and efficiently managing and checking out customers in your store. Managing products and inventory can be done using the Shopify web admin and Shopify Mobile for iPhone/iPod (Android coming soon).

Current Cost

This is a feature that we know many Shopify POS customers would like. Please know that we are actively looking into it.

Other card readers

Our Shopify card reader is powered by Shopify Payments. Our payments product provides built in reporting and chargeback handling right into Shopify. I really encourage you to try it out. If you download and install Shopify Mobile, you will also be offered a free card reader.

Rachna - why are you specifically interested in using the Intuit GoPayment card reader?

Barcode printing

Are you using the Shopify barcode app? What are you having difficulty doing? We will continue to improve this app and the barcoding workflow as this is something we want to make really easy for merchants.

Separate apps

Shopify’s philosophy is to only build the core features that the majority of our merchants need. For everything else, we created the Shopify app store. We are very careful about what features we build natively into our products, as the simplicity and elegance of Shopify and Shopify POS is one of the things our customers love the most. What specific features are enabled by apps that you feel are missing in Shopify POS?

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi David, thanks for your response. 

Cost of goods addition is eagerly awaited. Thank you...

Adding products using the socket 7ci bar code wireless scanner and IPAD is Impossible. I can not even add products using IPAD POS APP. Also I can not use IPAD camera to take pictures for that product. I can not receive inventory using IPAD. 

For offering discounts or variable pricing based on volume is not available. Sold out is not available. recommending matching things and helping to check out pant and shirt for example as one piece is not available. Not sure about inventory reporting and vendor reporting. Not sure how well you connect with backend quickbooks accounting softwares.

Want to use Intuit go payment because of their rate 1.75% no charges. Also I love their feature of using IPAD camera for scanning bar codes and taking product pictures.

1 Like
Explorer
50 0 38

"Are you using the Shopify barcode app? What are you having difficulty doing? We will continue to improve this app and the barcoding workflow as this is something we want to make really easy for merchants."

Most (nearly all) of my barcodes are 12 digit - the manufacture's upc.  When I choose medium label the barcode will not print.  I've been printing those for years with my Dymo, but I can't with your app.  The reason is in your app I can't choose which type of barcode to use.  I can tell you Dymo will print a 12 digit barcode on a medium lablel using Code 128 Auto.  Let me select that.

Would also like to print price labels, not barcode labels.  But bar codes cannot be selected/deselected.  Like I said earlier, nearly all my barcodes are the manufacturer's upc.  The item already has a barcode on it!  What I really need is a price label that has my current price and a strike through the "Compare at Price". And I do not want to have to export them and do a custom label in the Dymo software because this is often 1 product and a few labels at a time - this should be handled right from with in Shopify app.

"Other things missing?"

Variable/open pricing.  In my brick and mortar store we sell things that are not online, and not a fixed price.  In another piece of software we login items to repair and then itemize all the repair details and print out a ticket.  Then I have to ring the customer out at POS.  Need a category for Repair which I can type in any price.  My EXACT need maybe unique, but many other businesses need this type of flexibilty for their particulars.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
65 0 13

Harold - We are the in the process of making a change to the barcode printing app to create Code 128 barcodes for all label types. As for printing labels without barcodes, this is a feature request we've heard before and are considering as part of a future version of the barcode printing app.

0 Likes
Excursionist
23 0 49

What about tipping for salons, boutiques and stores that provide services and products forsale!

0 Likes
1 0 0

We had our POS system assign bar codes.  After checking them with several products on our web site, we printed labels for all of our products.  We found the same exact number for each product!  After several chats, we thought we corrected the problem.  This time the font was so large it did not fit on the label - the text for one label took the space of nearly 5 labels!  We still haven't corrected the problem.  I like how the whole Shopify POS system will work, but I find your site instructions nearly impossible to follow, and nearly every chat ends with "...you can always hire a Shopify Expert".  I'm usually pretty good at following written instructions and feel you need to be more clear in your manual and with your search so information is easier to locate.  That being said, how can we print the barcode labels without hiring an expert or another only semi-useful chat?  Thank you!

0 Likes