Inventory Control

3 0 0

Hi all! I am brand spanking new to this. I'm currently working on building my online store and revamping my brick and mortar location with the UPC labelmaker I just received from Shopify. I've been playing with the website some, but have taken my time thus far, spending the vast majority of time reading the forums, watching the video tutorials, and reading the manual. Perhaps I simply haven't gotten tot his part yet, but I would imagine if it were there, it would have popped out at me by now.

I have been using excel to keep track of inventory, and it has proven to be less than adequate. I have a fine jewelry store. Inventory upkeep is extremely important. I have thousands of pieces to keep up with. Part of my quarterly upkeep is to assess the cost-profit ratios. My plan is to completely remove my excel system and only use the Shopify system. However, I'm not seeing a single place in Shopify's system to keep certain information private as I list each item. Gram weight is important to customers, but I need to keep track of it in terms of my personal cost, too. I need to keep my gemstone cost, too. Is there a system built into Shopify that I'm just not seeing? It would be most efficient if I could put this info in the system as I add each item to the online store, but I simply do not see a place for it. Please, please tell me I'm missing something. I can't believe others do not need to keep track of their costs as well.

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
202 0 24

Hello Melissa,

currently Shopify doesn't provide (native) functionality to keep track of your personal product costs. However Shopify allows you to add Apps to your store, those Apps provide new or improved functionality to your store. This could be a front end enrichment or in your case a system to keep track of additional product date (for example the expenses).

There might be an App within the Shopify Appstore (https://apps.shopify.com/) which provides this functionality already. If not an App can be built to provide this functionality.

However keep in mind those Apps only integrate with the online store back end, currently this functionality can't be integrated into the POS directly.

HJ

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
202 0 24

Just came across an App which provides functionality to keep track of the Costs of Goods Sold. After you've installed this app, from within the product you will find a link "Cost of Goods Sold" (next to the duplicate button at the top right) which allows you to enter the product cost price.

HJ

0 Likes
3 0 0

This is very confusing to me, HJ. When I go to the link, it doesn't really provide much info. When I click the app link in the description, it takes me directly to download without providing me with the app details so that I can decide if I want to use it or not. When I search for a "Cost of Goods" app in the App store, not his Resistor's apps seem to come up. On the Resistor website, the Cost Of Goods app does not show in his app drop down menu.

I appreciate your help, but I'm not sure how to proceed with what you've suggested, and I am certainly not downloading anything that I can't look at and research.

Melissa

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
202 0 24

Hello Melissa,

to me it seems this app is still under development and this is a preliminary release. So I understand your confusion, probably documentation and marketing will be added soon.

HJ

0 Likes