Inventory Management, Purchase Orders, label generation questions

Tourist
3 0 1

I have a question for anyone that uses Shopify and Shopify POS to manage their retail location. We have been using Shopify for a year now to manage our ecommerce site, and we have found it very easy to use. We used the Shopify POS to run a pop-up shop recently, and also liked that. We are not happy with our current POS system (NCR Counterpoint), and are looking at using Shopify to replace it for that and a number of other reasons. We are Michigan's largest specialty store and have 4 Registers, 35 employees, a separate warehouse for receiving with 2 terminals, and about 10k SKU's and do a relatively high sales volume. I was wondering if anyone could walk me through their work flow for purchase orders, receiving orders, inventory transfer and bulk label printing. We often receive 6-10 pallets containing over 100 SKUs and I want to figure our if Shopify would be able to handle the volume of merchandise with the speed we need. Anyone with any experience here, it would be greatly appreciated. 

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2 0 0

Hi there!

I'm a member of Shopify's Retail Ambassador team. We'd love to set up a call with you to further discuss your requirements and help you explore if Shopify POS is a good fit for your retail business. 

Please e-mail retailteam@shopify.com and we can set something up!

Best,

Nichole

Shopify Retail Ambassador

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Nichole,

I attempted to send an email to that address, but I keep getting it back as a bounce. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2 0 0
Weird - sorry about that! Please let me know when your available for a call
this week/ and your e-mail address.

I will have a member of our team reach out to set up a call.

Thanks!
Nichole
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
715 0 56

You are likely to run into crashing and lagging performance on the iPad/POS app with so many SKUs. 

We discovered this quite by accident, and a guru pointed me to this page which shows these recommended limits.

Our app kept crashing and restarting during the day. Our only solution, which is imperfect, is to take all out-of-stock items and occasionally 'turn them off' for the POS (uncheck the 'publish to POS' box), to try and reduce the size of the catalog that gets pushed out to the iPad when the app is started for the day.

I have been using Shopify POS since 2014 in our brick and mortar store and it generally works OK, but we've definitely found that the Purchase Order/Transfer process is awful and not efficient at all for us. For instance, you cannot receive a Transfer (incoming Purchase Order) and then instantly print the barcodes for that purchase order. You cannot import data to create a Transfer, which is really inefficient if your purchase orders contain multiple SKUs/variants. It's as though the product team didn't actually talk to anyone with a store before they developed the Transfer features, in my opinion. The reviews on the current barcode label app are horrible. We use the old one, and it works well for us, but our volume is much smaller than it sounds like yours may be. And Locations has really hosed up our inventory processes. I wish I never had turned it on.

From Shopify's website regarding the product limits on the POS app:

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/sell-in-person/faq

Is there a limit to the number of products I can have in my catalog?

No. There is no limit to the number of products that you can create, but there is a limit to the number of products that you can have in your catalog before your POS device might start to experience performance issues:

Device Number of products Number of variants

iPad 22,0004,000
iPad 33,0006,000
iPad 43,0006,000
iPad 55,0008,000
iPad mini (All models)3,0006,000
iPad Air5,0008,000
iPad Pro 9.7"5,0008,000
iPad Pro 10.5"7,00010,000
iPad Pro 12.9"7,00010,000
1 Like
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Nichole,

Sorry I was out of town all weekend. just shoot me an email at tyler@mysecretgarden.com and we can get a call set up.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
112 8 103

Hi, 

It sounds like everyone else had great ideas for your POS system. If you are getting large shipments to your warehouse, I would recommend a dedicated inventory management system, like Cin7, that pushes the information to your Shopify store. This would also allow you to only have certain skus available in your POS system at a time, to avoid lagging load speeds while still having clear records of all inventory. 

Good luck!

1 Like
Excursionist
92 0 7

I'm pleased to announce that Simple Purchase Orders is now available on Shopify POS.

Simple Purchase Orders allows you to create POs for your suppliers with a few clicks and transfer inventory when it arrives with the press of a button.

You can walk round your shop and add items to the PO and then instantly email it to your supplier.

When the inventory arrives, pull up the PO and check that everything you ordered is correct and transfer the stock into Shopify on the spot.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1
I am interested in this same thing. Every time I turn around someone wants to sell me yet another monthly add on app that will do what I want. Getting a little ridiculous. I'm a small shop and there are other software out there that don't charge for all these "features" I like shopify but there has to be a better way to print barcodes for new products that come in that's not $15 a month. Profit margins are too tight in retail for all the "extras"
1 Like
Excursionist
22 1 7

I strongly agree with you. We pay apps more than we pay Shopify. They are way behind from other POS systems. 

0 Likes